Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rebrew of my Munich Helles, but this is the lazy man's version and a little more hops.

20L, 1.048, 4.5SRM, 21 IBU

4.00kg Premium Pilsner

0.30kg Munich malt

0.10kg Melanoidin

Tettnanger @ 60

15g Tettnanger in whirlpool.

WY1056  @ 16C.

Two brews today... Doug, a relatively new homebrewer came by to watch and help out with the first one. Thanks for your help mate!

Brew #1: Halcyon-Rakau SMaSH Both ingredients are new to me, so decided to test them out together:

20L batch

5.0kg Thomas Fawcett Halcyon

25g Rakau 10.5% @ 60

25g Rakau 10.5% @ 10

25g Rakau 10.5% Whirlpool

25g Rakau 10.5% Dry Hop

Mash at 68C

OG 1.060, 43IBU

~5.8% ABV

Ferment with US-05

Brew #2 is a more exciting one: a peat smoked barleywine based on the Snooty Llama American Barleywine I've brewed a couple of times already:

Sooty Llama Smoked Barleywine

3.50kg Malteruop Pilsner

0.50kg Baird's Peat Smoked

0.50kg Weyermann Munich I

0.25kg Baird's Dark Crystal

0.25kg Baird's Pale Crystal

0.20kg Melanoiden

0.50kg Sucrose

45g Chinook @ 75

25g Chinook @ 15

25g Chinook @ 5

50g Chinook Dry Hop

Mash at 67C

O.G.=1.096, 104IBU

~9.5%ABV

Ferment with US-05

Double yum.

I'll call on you for some sampling next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

I'd be delighted to share a beer or two next time you're down Wellington way, Jo.

In the end I actually ended up making THREE beers yesterday.

When I finished sparging the smoked barleywine I saw that the runnings were still around 1.050 gravity.

It seemed a shame to let all that good wort go to waste, so I added 60g of black malt, then ran off another 10L to turn it into a mini partigyle.

I boiled the heck out of the wort to get it down to 5.0L (the only fermenter I had free was a little 5L one.)  Added 3g Chinook @ 60 and 3g Fuggles @ 10 and ended up with 4L of dark, sticky 1.070 wort into the fermenter. 

After this is done fermenting I'm planning to add a couple of dried cascabel chilis to make it a "smoke and fire" imperial porter.

Fuck yeah - that beer reminded me heaps of Sunturnbrew from Nogne O - I was really impressed actually. I didn't realise that it was that strong... I can assure you that it was a bit of a task getting my arse out of bed this morning!

The smoke really messes with the perception of booze - but I had a sneaking suspicion that it was strong at the time - it had a nice viscous mouthfeel. Nice oxidated note starting to develop too... good caramel texture. I'm just wishing that Chinook isn't on the US Hop availability black list... cos drinking this makes me want to brew it too! Oh well.... rhumor has it that Chinook, Simcoe etc might be available by 2013.

Here's my red I'm busting out today. By the looks of the clouds out there it might be a bit of a wet one!

Stu's 1st Imperial NZ Red

Imperial Red

Author: Stu

Size: 23.0 L

Efficiency: 82.0%
Original Gravity: 1.077 

Terminal Gravity: 1.012 

Color: 14.67 

Alcohol: 8.54% 

Bitterness: 70.7 

Ingredients:6400.0 g Golden Promise Malt

300.0 g Special B - Caramel malt

1.0 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min

1.0 tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 10 min

1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

.5 kg Corn Sugar

13.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0 min

13.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0 min

9.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min

9.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min

6.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min

6.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min

30.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

10.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

30.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - steeped after boil

10.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) -steeped after boil

50.0 g Riwaka (5.9%) - added dry to primary fermenter

10.0 g Nelson Sauvin (14.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter

I'm going to add some beetroot juice to this at the end of the boil to make sure it's RED!

3 days later and it's down to 1.012!! American Ale II is a vicious bastard of a yeast huh?

Today I pitched the remaining wort (Joking wort recovery), boiled with a kg of Indian Jaggery sugar. I reckon that'll be better than just normal white sugar.

Once that's fermented off I'll do the dry hop.

Jaggery is the shit. I used about 5% in a 12%abv imperial stout and I can easily pick the aroma of it amongst all the roast, alcohol and hops. it's quite distinctive. as you probably expect, it ferments 100%

Oh cool Soren! Yeah I'm looking forward to drinking this one ;)

Just had a taste yesterday, it's right down to 1.010, and tastes really alcoholic. It's smothering the dry hop, so I bought another 100g of Riwaka to chuck in gradually till I'm happy.

Shieeeet so after over 160g of riwaka and 50ish grams of nelson being chucked in as a dry hop, there's still f. all aroma. The alcohol is still mega-dominiant. Today as a last ditch attempt I chucked in 20 more grams of Moteka, Riwaka, and Amarillo.... Hopefully something comes through.

I'm off on holiday on Monday, so I'm probably going to just have to cut my losses by getting it in the bottle by then and hoping for the best later down the line.

Ah well, I think I learnt my lesson with using too much sugar! :(

Yeah, that's going be hoppy like a mother fucker bro haha.

I always smell the fermenter/hydrometer sample and am always disappointed with the aroma.  Once it's carbonated and drinking I'm usually pleasantly surprised.  Probably has to do with that last bit of 'green beer' falling out and some carbonation to push the aroma out.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service