Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds awesome Mike.

What fermentation temps are you using for the French Saison yeast? Is it the same as the Belgian one (20C rising to 27C)? Got some myself and am planning brews. 

I pitched at 18 and it is now at 20 I have it capped at 22, That way I should get a fairly strong Ferment and a nice citrus peppery ferment with out the Bananna
spill the beans on the recipe then...........

Well its got that Rosalere strain in it with also with brett clau and brux!! Its a farmhouse ale oh well here it is

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 18/12/2010
Style: Saison Brewer: Michael Neilson
Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 35.76 L Boil Time: 120 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 95.00 % Equipment: Brew Pot (50LKeg) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 77.47 %

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.32 kg Halcyon Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 49.98 %
1.16 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 17.47 %
1.00 kg Flaked Maize (2.6 EBC) Grain 15.05 %
0.32 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 4.85 %
0.20 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3.01 %
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
50.00 gm Styrian Goldings [6.40 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
50.00 gm Riwaka [5.90 %] (5 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.64 kg Brown Sugar, Light (15.8 EBC) Sugar 9.63 %
1 Pkgs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (Wyeast Labs #3112) [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Brettanomyces Claussenii (White Labs #WLP646) [Add to Secondary] Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast LAbs #3711) Yeast-Ale

50g Riwaka!!!    Who'd you have to sleep with to that that?
I still have a bout a 100g left!! Ive had it for a little while now I think it might be still last years crop?

These are brews Boxing Day chaps ?

Reckon I'll be Monday or Tuesday - oh and bitter with Sauvin

I'm hoping to brew a couple beers over the next two weeks:  

1. S-Sharp - a pale ale with Styrian & Simcoe and taking on board the feedback from the NHC re. 5X (more body and more hops through the middle)

2.  Belgian Blonde Ale - A rebrew of my previous one that I've been missing.  Maybe a little less inverted sugar this time to lower the ABV from 8.0% down to 7'ish%.

There's a definite theme there in the Sharp's Mr Cherry.

Is there anything in common through the Sharp beers ?

Is there anything in common through the Sharp beers ?

Yes.  They're all well hopped, sub 5% ABV, pale ales with minimal specialty malts (just enough to balance the beer) and they all have multiple hop additions each of which consist of 50% NZ Styrian and 50% of a guest hop.  

Global Cologne has been the predominant base malt so far but something tells me there's something missing in the base malt department so the next one will be Golden Promise.

Couldn't wait any longer - masho !

I would've thought Special K would've been big enough Mr Cherry - maybe it's the expected flavour ?

maybe it's the expected flavour ?

You might be right.  It'll be interesting to see what Golden Promise brings to what is basically the same recipe though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service