Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently brewed an American Amber which had mash-hopping but no 60 minute addition, and the bitterness seems fine.
did you calculate mash hop IBU? Promash had 85 for me but I don't believe that, or the 0ibu it calculated for the 100g at flameout...
BeerSmith does some form of calculation. Can't remember what it was though. Overall the IBUs seemed pretty low, but the perceived bitterness seems fine.
Beersmith is -30% over what you would get at 60 minutes.

From the beers I've mash hopped they tasted about right IBU-wise.

"I considered US05 but, being a little 3.5% beer, I was concerned about it having a big hole in the middle"

I used to get that from SO4 when I used it too, that yeast always attenuated like a bitch for me.

I really should give SO4 another shot one day.
thanks Glen... that's about what I expected from Promash. I'd already added the hops before I plugged the recipe in!!

I had 200g of mash hops, so i'm looking at around 100ibu all up for a 1.035 beer. Should be interesting... I'm glad I didn't read up too much about it first, or I might have whimped out.

You know, Martin, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 5g/L when mash hopping! ;-)

Tasted ok on brewday. Mashed at 69c, so I'm hoping it finishes around 1.008 to 1.010 for somewhere in the 3.2-3.5% range. Might have a taste tonight as it should be ready for dry hopping.
In fact, it's tasting beautiful now that it's carbed up. Subtle sweetness, but nice hop flavour. This keg will disappear way too fast!
What FG are you expecting from the SO4 Stu - are you going to let it go to it's natural conclusion or are you going to stop it somewhere ?
Day off on Wednesday so brewing a wee intercontinental experiment. Mixing American and NZ hops.

21L
5kg Pils
300gm Aromatic
300gm Special B
300gm Biscuit
300gm Caramunich II
100gm Wheat

10gm Pacific Jade @ 60
30gm each Amarillo, Columbus @ 20
15gm Sauvin @ 20
45gm each Amarillo, Columbus @ 10
25gm Sauvin @ 10
25gm each Amarillo, Columbus @ Dry Hop
15gm Sauvin @ Dry Hop

US05

116 IBU

I'm really interested with how the Sauvin will work with both Amarillo and Columbus. I see it a bit like the wino's mixing Viognier and Syrah.
A mate of mine did a Pale Ale with Columbus and Sauvin - and it was a little disjointed for my taste... both Columbus and especially (at the moment) Sauvin can be quite savory. I know this isn't the recipe advice thread, but I'd be a little tempted to town down the Columbus (he blasphemes...) to perhaps match the amount of Sauvin rather than match the Amarillo, and make up for the quantity loss with Amarillo: So like 45g Amarillo @ 20 with 15 each of Sauvin and Columbus.

Tell me to stick my nose out of it, but take it for what it's worth: just 2cents.
No problem with you sticking your nose in, it's all good advice (especially when you've tried it before). That's all the Amarillo I have so I could just knock the amount of sauvin down to a background player or... just bowl on ahead and do it anyway ;-)

What about alternative NZ hops?
Just go ahead with it... if it turns out good, then it's pat on the back time. If it feels like there's a tweak to be made for a re-brew, then you know what you can do!
Well, it's all done now. 10gm of Sauv @ 10 and 20gm at 10 so just nudged it back a touch.

Also ran off an extra 9L @ 1.027 that was too much for the kettle, I'll boil it up tonight, maybe with some Fuggles for a 'how low can you go' beer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service