Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94597

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nah, Riwaka are the finest hop known to man - or in other words hands off the Motueka supply, at least I can still buy them ...
I'm pretty sure Emersons Pilsner is a riwaka based brew... And that beer rules in my book!
It is - Jamil picked up on the 'burnt rubber' aroma when I gave him some Emersons Pilsner during his visit earlier this year. It was the first I'd heard of it but now I can spot it.
Another great beer spoiled by the well trained nose of a beer hound! I hate that, you are perfectly happy with a beer then someone spots something and its all you can smell or taste afterwards. A bit like a hot woman with a mole.
He did note in his show that the burnt rubber dissapeared after a few weeks conditioning though...
I still love you Emersons Pilsner.
you wouldn't believe how many people asked me "How much Riwaka is in the Motueka Monster?"
I believe 'diesel' is another term that people get drom Riwaka.
OK, the lager season is officially over for me now, the 34/70 yeastcake went down the laundry tub the other night.

So it's back to a continuous supply of ale and next up is another mild, Stu's home brewed PKB recipe as a Mild.
He reckoned it was good and although I did question the hop additions, I do trust the guy and the kg bag of cascade has taken a whopping hit

Another out of character afternoon brew session tomorrow with a few seedlings to pot up during the mash and between hop additions
Sparge over, nearly boiling. I was tempted to wimp out of the1.5gm per litre - but no it's all hops this by the look of it.

Afternoon brewing is no good either, my routine is all out and there's spills and crap like that everwhere - but at least I will enjoy my Fathers Day sleep in & breakfast tomorrow
I brewed an epic clone whilst testing out a bunch of equipment today. Once again the efficiency caught me a bit off guard today so it wont be a perfect clone... it'll be an EPIC Epic clone...

Epic Clone
10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 45.84 L
Efficiency: 103.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%
Calories: 199.97 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.060 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 21.14 (9.85 - 27.58)
Alcohol: 6.17% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 38.9 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
7.44 kg Thomeas Fawcett Floor Malted Halcyon Pale Ale Malt
0.93 kg CaraMalt
0.62 kg Pale Crystal Malt
0.31 kg Carapils®/Carafoam®
14 g Cascade (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
28 g Cascade (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
68 g Cascade (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
85 g Cascade (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
85 g Cascade (7.2%) - steeped after boil
114 g Cascade (7.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter
114 g Cascade (7.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II

I took a wee video of some of the proceedings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_N2rSJ9CM
WTF 103% efficiency! That's clever. This equipment must be like a beer alchemy set up.

I listened to the Epic clone recipe today. Its very tempting, great beer.
I know! I had to go over all the numbers 3 times... I checked all the volumes in the fermenters... in the WRP... and in the bottome of the kettle... it all adds up! Frustrating in a way... but in others - it's great. The only other thing that I can put it down to is the Fawcett malt. I had the potential plugged in as 79%... maybe it's a bit higher.
've also been hitting the high numbers 94-102%, i thought i'd measured something wrong the first time but every batch is the same, i have 95% as my default eff,i've been using gladfield ale malt but in beeralchemy i use uk pale ale malt as strangely it doesn't have gladfield in its database :) uk pale is 80% potential so maybe gladfield is higher?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service