Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah mate I do, what's the go?
If you know what your Ph before adding the yeast you will know if the yeast has taken a hold and started to chomp, Normally if you mash @ 5.2-5.4 and have added no acids to your sparge water your post boil ph will be (depending on boil off) will be around 5.1-5.3. If your Ph @ the moment is 4.8-4.9 your a safish man if its over 5 your fucked. Warm it up to 16 and shake it and see what happens
Thanks Mike, unfortunately the PH meter has ran out of batteries, no idea how, I've only used it about 4 times. Anyway I cracked the lid, kind of looks like the foam on top after I'd finished whisking it up to get some air in prior to pitching than krausen. However, when I move the fermenter the airlock is bubbling. I've cranked it to 12.5c, I'll see what happens tomorrow and if nothing put it to 16 and try another day.

If that fails, what do you reckon to pitching a packet of 05 or 04? I know it's far from ideal, but it might save a drain pour.
Yeah I reacon its taken but I would be worried about stress and underpitch, and what flavour componds it may have all ready created?
underpitch

What rate was the pitch then Jacko ?

I've decided to go a second repitch on the 34/70 - lager on Sunday morning.

Considering super alpha for a good kiwi flavour
25g of dry 34/70. That was for 20L of 1.051, slightly stronger than I had planned but only by two points.
I'm presuming you did the Mr Malty - or similar - calcs so I'm guessing you had enough yeast ?
Yeah it should have been enough. I think I might be out the water, I checked this morning and it's dropped 2-3 points, so at least it's off and running finally. Maybe just a slow starter? I've left it at 12.5 today and I'll prob drop it down to 12 tonight for the rest of the fermentation, perhaps a raise at the end to make sure it finishes up.
W34/70 attenuation

Jacko, are you there mate ?

1.041 to 1.009 on the first repitched batch
78% mate, pretty good I'd say. My Schwarz was down to about 1.022 last night, sposed to finish at 1.016. I increased to 16c for a diactyl rest and hopefully to knock those final few points off. If I get better attenuation on this one it'll be finishing quite dry.

So are you happy repitching so far then?
So are you happy repitching so far then?

Well the first repitch is still in secondary, it's going to get a week and then I'll keg.

The second repitch is firing along now, still at 12C

So from the hydro sample and the slurry i saved, yea, good. More slurry the second time round too, either better yeast or better technique

Funny, I brewed 150+ batches with liquids, but I'd never repitched a dried yeast until now.

But what I like most is just a straight repitch the next day is not making a starter .. I can be a lazy shit
I did a similar Munich Helles -

90% Weyermann Pils
7% Munich
3% Melanoidin

20 IBU

66C mash.

WY2124 (which I believe is the same strain as 34/70)

Was a great beer (blows his trumpet :-P haha).

I think you'll be on the money mate.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service