Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"What do you think of the Global Pils?"

I know you werent asking me, but im gonna butt in with my 2 cents anyways ;o)

I got some of this stuff ages ago, and used it as an ale malt in a heap of my beers, it well and truely stood up to it as well IMO, its got a great slightly bready malt character which isnt as thin as some other pilsner malts ive used, namely ADM and Wey Bo Pils, I like it by itself and liked it even more with 10-20% munich to beef it up.. A great malt, and would probably be my second favourite, most versatile base malt after Golden Promise!
Just mashed in on a Petit Saison. Basically my normal Saison recipe but with the gravity scaled back. I'm trying to make a semi-quaffable Saison.

3.6kg Pilsner
0.25kg Wheat
0.13kg Munich
0.04kg Caramunich
Mashed at 67 degrees for 60 mins (mashing warmer than normal to get a bit more body in the lower grav beer)

90 min boil
45g Pacifica @ 60 mins
30g Pacifica @ 0 mins

Yeast is WY3711PC French Saison gen 2. No starter made so underpitching slightly but I figure this won't be a problem in this beer.

Will start off ferment at 20 degrees then ramp up as high as I can get it in the conservatory.

Aiming for an OG of 1.045 so slightly outside style guidelines.
Preboil gravity was right on the money, so all is going well so far.
Mid week brewing again Martin. What time do you reckon you'll get to bed?
My weekends are so hectic at the minute that mid-week is about the only time I get to brew. The chiller's running now (see, I'm looking after it Tyler!) and I reckon it'll be finished in the next 15 mins so I should be in bed by 11.15pm with yeast pitched and everything. Bit of cleaning up to do tomorrow (just the kettle) but that's fine.

Sat here with a glass of Rodenbach Grand Cru whilst the chiller runs - what a superb beer.
However, something went wrong with my calcs somewhere along the line (or the brewing gods wouldn't let me brew an out of style beer) coz the starting gravity is 1.050. Ah well.
Its a hard life isnt it Martin ;o) Ive been thinking about these saisons, and I still reckon your first one you did last year was the best ive tried!! Whether that be because your fermentation temp was lower than the crazier temps weve all been trying this year or not im not sure tho?? Maybe its cos it was bottle conditioned?
Re-brew of our standard porter, using harvested Nottingham instead of our usual trusty S-04. This will be my case swap beer.
'Hobs of Hell'
76% Maris Otter
15% Munich
4% Crystal 55L
4% Pale Choc
4% Choc
4% Black Patent

66 degree mash, 90 min

42 IBU Cascade @ 60min
18 IBU NZ Goldings @ 30min
5 IBU NZ Goldings @ 10min

Nottingham (harvested from an ord. bitter 2 weeks ago) @ 18C

OG 1.064, expect it to get to about 1.014. By the time you case-swappers get it it'll have a good bit of bottle condition on it, hopefully it meets the high standard that seems to have been set in previous swaps!
Mmmm, i love cascade as a bittering hop in dark beers, its so savagely bitter it just works so well IMO!! Cant wait to try it Vdog ;o)
I missed out on Special B by about 5mins, but check this out...

FINALLY we have the real macoy in New Zealand.

Soon, I will have floor malted Thomas Fawcett base malts including Maris Otter and Golden Promise.
Jo - You are the man :o) Good work mate, definately looking forward to some floor malted GP *insert drool icon here*

Also - Id love to see your house right now, it must smell awesome with all that malt in stock?
And on that Note its a rebrew of this Gold Medal wining Belgain Dubbel But here are the Subs

Trapped

3.9kg ADM Pilsner???????? Something Belgain
800g Munich
150g Melanoiden, Belgian Aromatic
150g Caramunich 2
100g Caraaroma

67 deg Mash

30g Saaz @ 60
20g Saaz @15
20g Styrian @ 15
20g Styrian @5
20g Styrian @ 5