Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum

Im getting back into brewing a couple of years after my terrible experiences at uni with 'kit and kilo of sugar in a bucket" brews. Now my taste in beer is a little more refined thanks to discovering all the great NZ craft beers (thanks regional W&S!), and I've spent some time reading around and listening to podcasts to confidently give it a good shot. Im going to try a couple extract with steeping grains out first then see where it goes. My first batch was a brown ale based on "dirty water brown" out of 'brewing classic styles'.

Recipe Specs:
Batch size 10L
Boil size 13L
O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.012ish
IBU 35ish
Boil time 60min

Ingredients:
1.8kg M&F Light LME
113g Bairds Pale Crystal
113g Bairds Chocolate malt
57g Caramunich 2
57g Bairds amber
11g Northern Brewer (8.5%) @ 60min
16g Northern Brewer (8.5%) @ 15min
28g NZ Cascade (7.2%) @ 0 mins
Half a packet of US05 which i will rehydrate first. Will ferment at 19C

Steeped grains in 2.5L 71C water for 30min and let drain
Transferred this to boil pot, added the extract and topped up to 13L
Started the boil and hopped as above finishing with 10.5L cooling in the fermenter

Observations:
I took a pre-boil sample of 1.050 which was a little higher than i was aiming so i wasnt surprised when it was 1.060 post-boil. I'll top it up with another 1.6L of water to bring the gravity down for to my aim of OG1.052.

I really enjoyed brewing this today and cant wait to see how it turns out!! I plan on using the rest of my packet of yeast and cascade in an APA in the next few days that i might need some advice for... Cheers!!
Finally got around to brewing my Oktoberfest I have been planning for a while. Just mashed in and hit my mash temp of 67, I want 66 ideally but as I BIAB and sparge I lose a degree or two over the mash due to all the head space in the pot so compromised a little rather than firing up the burner later. Anyway...

20L Batch planned, 60min mash, 90min boil

3kg Vienna
2kg Munich I
0.23kg Melanoiden

22IBU of Hallertau Aroma at 60min
5IBU of Hallertau Aroma at 20min

2 packs of 34/70

Got my new tempmate hooked up to the fridge, working away nicely. New wort chiller raring to go also, should be a fun afternoon! Will be keen to see if all these new toys are going to improve the beer flavour.
Good to see ya finally brewing this Jacko, let me know how it turns out :o)
Cheers mate, will do. Bit disappointed as still having trouble with my numbers. Was fine pre boil but ended up about 8 points lower gravity than expected and only 1L extra wort. Think I overcompensated for trub after the amber ale but this beer had a lot less hops so probably wasn't necessary. I may have also oversparged. Anyway will still be 4.5% so not all bad, tempmate working like a dream.
I'm redoing a recipe I did earlier in the year, that I was really happy with. This time I'm using 50/50- Golden promise/Marris Otter, just to see what it comes out like. Plus I'm using a West Yorkshire yeast instead of Ringwoods, I'm hoping it'll bring out the toasty, nuttiness of the malts. I called it Cat poo, because I stepped in some cat shit, while I was tipping my spent grains on the compost, last time..

Cat poo 2 ESB
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Brewer: Tony Culmer
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 27.89 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %

1-2 Days Before Brewing
Prepare Yeast Starter
West Yorkshire (Wyeast #1469) [Starter 1000 ml] [Cultured]
Yeast-Ale

18/10/2009
Clean and prepare equipment.

Prepare 28.97 L water for brewing

2.50 kg
Pale Malt Golden Promise(2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)

2.50 kg
Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)

0.50 kg
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

0.45 kg
Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)

0.12 kg
Wheat bix (3.0 SRM)
Inspired by (i.e. completely ripped off) Jamil's recipe -

Devil Inside Belgian Golden Strong Ale:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pilsner ADM (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
2.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 28.6 %
20.00 gm Southern Cross [13.20%] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
20.00 gm Liberty [4.70%] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 21.4 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 8.4 %
Bitterness: 41.2 IBU

Will start ferment at 18C and ramp up to 28 (hopefully!) over the course of a week.

Sugar wasn't included in boil, will add after 2 days fermentation
Busy day in the garage today.

First up, another APA, with some rye malt for a bit of variety. Will need some more american hops soon, tho, if i keep brewing APA's at this rate. MIdway thru the mash at the moment.

Fermentables - MOPA, Rye Malt,Munich, Melanoiden
Hops - Simcoe, Centennial and Columbus
Yeast - Dennys Favourite 50

Just finished bottling my Alt, and once I get the boil going on the APA I'll be brewing an alcoholic ginger ale on the stove. Rebrew of my Ginger Ninja from last summer with a few tweaks for a BBQ in a couple of weeks.

Fermentables - Pale Malt, A smidge of Melanoiden, White Sugar, Brown Sugar
Adjuncts - Lemon juice, lemon rind, ginger
Yeast - Kit yeast from a coopers lager kit I've got in the fridge or maybe S05.
Hey Ally.

Can you give us some numbers for ingredients in your ginger beer? Id be keen to brew one myself and looking for somewhere to start.

Cheers
Hi Aaron - this was the original recipe for the Ginger Ninja which I've tweaked a bit today (more ginger, less lemons). It was pretty drinkable, so hopefully you'll find it a good place to start. Cheers

250g Marris Pale Otter
1.5kg Chelsea White Sugar
.5kg mix Demerara and Muscavado
juice and zest of six lemons
100g of grated ginger
For 14 litres

Mashed the grain, then added the sugar and ginger to the wort then boiled for 15 mins. Added the zest, the lemon juice at flame out. Dry 'hopped' with some more lemon rind and some more grated ginger. OG = 1.058. Put in my fermenter with some kit yeasts I had lying about.
I think I will have a free fermenter on monday, so im going to brew a Berliner Wiess!! This one will be more controlled!!
My starter of WY1469 is underway at present, in readiness for next Monday.

Plan is to brew an English Old.

Goblin Hob

Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 36.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

3300.00 gm Maris Otter (6.0 EBC) Grain 60.55 %
1500.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 27.52 %
250.00 gm Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2Grain 4.59 %
250.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 4.59 %
100.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.83 %
50.00 gm Carared (43.0 EBC) Grain 0.92 %
35.00 gm EKGoldings [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 18.6 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
28.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (30 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
14.00 gm EK Goldings [4.30 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #WY1469) [Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: 67ºC for 90 minutes.
Have you brewed this before Warra? I take it with the name you are trying to clone the Hobgoblin? This was my first BIAB all grain attempt and whilst I thought it was ok to start with as time goes by I'm not that impressed with the beer. My recipe was 93% MO, 4% medium crystal and 3% choc, S-04 yeast. I might get around to brewing this again and give your recipe ago, see if I can get closer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service