Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great advise thanks Mike and Joe!

The hops aren't cheap, but at the end of the day there is no point making a half arsed beer, and cursing that I wasted the hops instead of utilising them!
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
30.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

35IBU sounds good!
Great work - that looks tasty mate!
Doing pretty much the same thing tonight...

6kg maris otter
0.25kg crystal
0.25kg carahell
Unsure of the hops but I intend to shoehorn about 150g of US cascade in there and any shortfall mad up with sauvin. Any suggestions you american hop fiends?
Was in my scratcher at 6.30 this morning..Stuck the toe out from under the duvet and furk me was it cold..I feel for ya...
Mate, this is crazy.... I need a garage attached to the house with heating!
Just mashed in on this bitch.

My favourite beer brewed so far, if I can repeat it I'll be stoked as.

Stupid work, had to go in today, 5.30 start, got home at 10 and started grinding. Would have been halfway to a boil by now if it wasn't for work.
Just mashed in a Motueka Ale
Standard ale grist
96.5.% ADM
5% Medium crystal
2.5% wheat
1% Chocolate
1.040 and 28 IBU motueka with US05
I've gone back to 5% crystal after a time using 2.5% - enjoyed both but nice to mix it up a bit.
Last time I used Motueka it was called B Saaz so I'm looking forward to this one.
It's in the same vein as the extract ale I had on tap at the Welly shop a few years ago

Cold morning but at least there's no hail showers and snow flurries !

cheers, jt
Sounds good jt. Of all the beers I've brewed this year my Motueka & Maris Otter beer is about the only one I'd brew again (maybe the Styrian version too).

Mine was an 11L batch:
100% MO
OG 1.045, 30 IBU
15g Motueka at 60min
10g Motueka at 10 min
15g Motueka at 0min

I over carbonated mine so some of the hops were a bit lost but I could certainly appreciate how good a simple beer with Motueka could be. I'd dry hop it at 1g/L if I was to brew it again.
I'd dry hop it at 1g/L if I was to brew it again.

I'm back in a non-dryhop phase. Did a cascade ale with 0 min hops in place of dry hop and like the difference. Gone 0 min here as well this time, may add some dry hops next time.
I have a similar hopping to yours above, but also have 10gm at 30 minutes, I do like that addition though it doesn't seem very common ?
I think a lot of the brewers here have been reading Brewing Classic Styles and/or listening to Jamils podcasts which lean towards 60, 10, 0 for the hop additions. I'm certainly guilty of that.

I've been thinking about introducing a 30min addition in the hope of getting a more solid hop flavour. I know I keep going on about it but Barry's beer in the case swap had a hoppiness that was "right up my ally" and from memory I think it had a 30min addition. I'll be adding a 30 min addition to my next few batches.
I've used both hopping regimes and like them both. At the moment my taste is going strong on the 30 min addition though. I started this recipe with the 60,10 & o, but tried with the 30 as well & never changed back, it adds a depth that I didn't get without it. I used to so it with W1968, be interseting to see how it goes with that good 'ol '05 !

I think Barry's was without the 30 min, but there again there's the "no chill" factor to take into account.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service