Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll keep an eye on the Petone store for you, I work close by.
Or If you sort out which day ANZAC you're brewing you're welcome to borrow either the pot or the kettle
Thank's jt, I'll keep it in mind:)
I,d do a simple single infusion mash for your first few lagers and concentrate on temperatures and lagering, Ive made many a good lager with single infusion,

If you choose to do a decoction, go for it but expect a long day, stuck sparges and a possible decockup.
The boiling of the grains added to the mashtun makes it stickier than usual and I almost always get stuck sparges, maybe from impatience, I now run it through real slow.

My best lagers have been using decoction mashes, it really helps when making malty lagers, the Soba NHC best in show was a decoction, my first one ever, I got 3 stuck sparges which resulted in emptying the tun and starting again, and again it was getting frustrating and I was thinking about biffing the lot, but kept going, on the 3rd try I got away with it (just) and the resulting beer turned up a beaut.

My last attempt a few weeks ago on an ale turned to custard and looked like it too when transferred to the boiler, couldnt be bothered starting the sparge again so I just stirred it up, runoff lokked like milk, it boiled out ok though!

Theres many resources on doing decoction mashes, but they seem to differ alot, I always change my procedure a little, some articles seem quite complicated but I just keep it simple.

My first one was 50oC for 20 mins, pull roughly a third to half of the grains and drain any excess water out and bring up to 68oC for 30 mins for conversion on stovetop then boiled for 30 mins, added back to mashtun to bring temp to entire mash to 68oC for 1 hour, pulled a third to half and boiled for 30 mins added back to mashtun to mashout at roughly 78oC, start the sparge (s).

If youve got plenty of time and are keen, go for it and good luck!
Providing I get off work tomorrow by 11 a mild is on the books.

79% UK Pale
17% Crystal
4% Chocolate
SO4 Yeast

Fuggles at 45 and 15 minutes.

22 IBU
Hey denimglen, when you use % what is the total weight of the grain / malt? 3kg?
Hi James,

I just use percent because it probably makes more sense to most people on here than an actual weight, which would vary depending on batch volume. Funnily, %age means absolutely nothing to me haha. I'll probably start using weight and note the batch volume from now on though, anyway....

Respectively and roughly the weights are 2.5, 0.5, 0.1 kg for a 20L batch.

Hops are 23g then 30.

Cheers.
Brewing this weekend, a close relation of last years 599
85% Aussie Pale
15% Vienna
12 IBU Super Alpha to bitter and 12 IBU B Saaz split between 30, 15 & 1 minute.
California Lager Yeast to ferment at the wonderfully cool autumn ambient temp in the garage - about 16C
Hoping for 1.040 in the fermenter
is that a blonde ale?
Nah, Blande !
Although a lager yeast is an option with a Blonde so I read.
It's not to any style as I fail at that most times.
1.040 and 24IBU doesn't fit too many places as a lager as far as I can see but I'm not too worried about that.
It's a close repeat of last years effort which was 10% Munich and 15% flaked wheat.
I made notes at the time to drop the wheat, which I've done here.

Anything brewing ed ?
last weekend i concentrated on bottling efforts (altbier and autumn gold ale). tomorrow night after work definitely brewing, just a question of whether i do my long awaited blonde (riwaka late hops) or a dry irish stout. at the moment i am leaning to the latter because i am low on any roasty black beers in my cellar at present and with saf04 on the job i can turn something round quick smart whereas the blonde will take two weeks with slow old wyeast 1338 on the job. i have ideas coming out my ears, and not as much time as i would like to do them all. have canvassed the idea with work as to going to a 9-day fortnight which would give me another guaranteed day where i could both brew and do some cycling and clean the house and pick up daughter from school. it'd be great.
Low on a style ?

I've tried to brew a cycle of pale, amber then brown for the last few years. That gives me one of each on hand and one conditioning. Also gives a bit of time for one brew to mature and be assessed before I brew another the same style.
However, the recipes for the pale and amber have been getting closer together, to a point where I think I'll just brew variations on the blande blonde, a brown and a lager (weather permitting)

Brewing, cycling, cleaning, school .. you might fit in cooking dinner too Ed ?

cheers, jt
Hmm, maybe I was a bit hasty doing a lager at ambient.
Pitched a nice active Cali Lager starter Sunday lunchtime @ 16C
Yesterday morning it was @17C and last night 18C
I thought it'd drop a few more degrees before the ferment took off and raised the temperature
Might be ok, might drop a bit as the ferment slows, if not I guess it's a tame sort of Steam Beer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service