Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.

This brew is cursed. You should rename it.

Yeastie Boys part 4... The Curse of Marmarillo
Wird all taps and showers, except my "brewing tap" are pumping out the hot water in good style. Might have to get into the roof. Mashed in 68c.
Ended up doing the 50/50 split - Wyeast 1469 v S05.
Pushed it all a little... 1.042 in the end. 35ibu, so it's on the Ordinary/Best cusp.

Used 60min Amarillos to dry hop my IPA so I bittered with Sauvin in the end.

The W1469 beer is, as per Joking's suggestion, The Curse of Mamarillo.
The S05 one is (Beer for my) Sugar Spun Sons - seeing that all three of them have had birthdays in the last 3 and 1/2 weeks.

89% Baird's Maris Otter
7.5% Baird's Crystal 90
3.5% Baird' Amber

Mashed 60min. Boiled 75min.

24ibu Sauvin @ 60min
6ibu Sauvin @ 40min
5ibu Amarillo @ 10min
30g Amarillo @ 0min

1.042, 35ibu.

Both beers fermenting away nicely now.
Brown Porter
Another porter experiment today. Still not happy with my porters. Maybe this will hit the spot.

Macs Pale Kit

Steeped:
225g Brown Malt
160g Pale Chocolate
25g Light Crystal
25g Medium Crystal
25g Dark Crystal

Pitched a 1L starter of 1056 harvested from a prev AG SMaSH.
Ok, so last weekend was too good to brew, so with tomorrow off work I have Bland Ale Mk V set to go
Mk III was a bit Bland, but with nice hints of lemon, anything less and I'm sure I'd be heading into Export Gold territory (well that's a bit harsh but you get the idea)
Now Mk IV is good, but too bitter to get the neighbours drinking any more than a 7 oz'r. But the lemon / lime from the Hallertau is great
So I'm going half way. The bittering from the III and the flavouring from IV
So OG 1.040 IBU 14 of Super Alpha bittering and 12 of Hallertau with US-05
All my grain beers with '05 seem to finish at 1.008 regardless of my mash temp - but I suspect that somethings dodgey somewhere

And there's good news for all those people who check out the carrot and bean piccies (I can't believe how many beer enthusiasts actually view these piccies !)
The peas are flowering, so the mutant pea photos will be due in the next few weeks ...
JZ's 'West Coast Blaster', American Amber.

1.067, mash at 67C

80% UK Pale
6.5% Munich
6.5% Crystal 50L
3.3% Crystal 120L
3.3% CaraAmber
0.3% Pale Choc

66IBU (22L)

32g Southern Cross @ 60
28g Cascade US @ 10
28g Centennial US @ 10
28g Cascade US @ 0
28g Cascade US @ 0

US-05
Boiling now. Not a good brew day so far.

Though I had more but only had like 2kg of Baird's PA, so mongrelised it with 340g Bohemium pils, 2kg of Barrett Burston pale. So 500g or so short.

Went to set everything up and realised I had forgotten to fix the sightglass so spent 30mins driving around trying to find somewhere open that had a brass olive. Cheers to brass-fit in Onehunga for hooking me up with a couple free of charge even though they were closed for stock-take.

Not only was I 500g short, my efficiency was 5% lower than normal :-S Only had 500g DME that I just bought for making starters so used that to bump up the OG, still 5 points too short.

I want some cheese with my whine.
Yow! I know the feeling. I'd meant to pick up a brass hose fitting for my immersion chiller the last tie I was at the warehouse but I forgot. Brewed yesteraday and had to use the slightly melted plastic one from last time. Lost a lot of water and chilling efficiency!
Haha yeah sucks, wouldn't be a real brewday without at least one problem eh?

On the up-side pre-boil wort tasted freakin' awesome.
OH HELLS YEAH!

Took a hydro sample, drank it all before it got to the hydro jar.

Jab in the nose C-hop aroma, and the choicest as complimentary chewy malt biscuit thing going on. And the god damn best after taste in my mouth for like over a minute of bitter citrus peels and caramel and cookies.

Just had to give myself some props with some really disappointing beers lately.

But also mad props to JZ for this recipe and to water salt adjustments.
Did you revert back the gypsum?
Mainly CaCO3 and a touch of gypsum. No 5.2 buffer this time.

IIRC, hit 5.4pH (@25C) on the mash and like 5.6 (@25C) on the batch sparge.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service