Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wahoo (Yahoo), Coogle (Google)! Duh! Nice one Stu.
I've just filled a keg of hopped extract based lager, then hopped up a little with hallertau, and tettnanger then dry hopped with (?) tettnanger (by mistake). I think I may have over done it when I did the dry hopping as I left it in primary for 5 weeks (forgot about this one in the fridge).

It is still a little bitter (lemon marmalade and I'm not a real marmalade kind of guy), hopefully it will settle out a little in another week or two. Still a very drinkable beer!

Oh and vienna lager from Wigram....
Anticipating a pint of 629 - NZ Draught with Hallertau - when I get home, nice & cold as the air conn here's real dodgy.
The keg's almost empty, expecting a spray of froth any pint now, but I've got another one half carb'd and ready to go.
Guiness "Belgian" Export last night.... beautiful!

Three Boys "Plum" (not sure of the name yet but I picked up a sample from the brewery last week). Very very nice, would be absolutely fantastic with a little more lift from a higher carbonation. As is it'd be great with roast chicken at Christmas, I reckon.

Renaissance Perfection Pale is on form and Epic Pale Ale in the new 500ml bottle ain't too shabby either.

Sent my last bottle of PKB to Sydney with Fritha this morning. She's dropping it and a t-shirt to one of my best mates over there... Homebrewing today as it's been a long time since I had a chance. Mashing in while the kids sleep now and then completing when they go to be around 6ish. Got a Great India Venison Curry to get me through the night, and a few interesting new beers from Regionals...

Cheers
Stu
Epic Pale in the 500ml bottle tonight when i get home....had a lot of disappointments lately with epic so I’m hoping this 'renews the faith'.....
Invercargill biman and Emerson’s weissbier also in the fridge....perfect selection on a day like today!
Rain forecast for tomorrow so I’ll be drinking my own wee heavy and old ale
Did the faith get renewed?
I had one also, and have to admit to a little disappointment. I'd tasted the same batch that went into the bottles with Luke out at Hallertau, and it was simply "epic". :) The bottle I had last night was from Hillcrest Fine Wines, and had been kept in the fridge. The aroma was fantastic, possibly nicest ever in an Epic Pale Ale, the colour and head retention were superb also (a 5/5 for appearance maybe? ;) ) but the flavour just... lacked something. There was some mineral saltiness there, which I've not found for a long time in EPA, and the body seemed a little thin and metallic. There was some oxidation present also, which was strange in such a fresh beer.

I'll grab another from a different vendor (no slight on Hillcrest Fine Wines, Jan keeps his beers nicely) to compare. Even off form, it's still a nice beer. I guess I'm more critical of EPA because it's my default gateway drug for hooking new potential SOBA members! ;)
I just drunk mine without too much thought and really enjoyed it. My only real gripe with Epic - and it is only occaisionally (same with the lager too) - is that it can be too hoppy with not enough bitterness to carry it.
Nope faith has not been renewed....actually had the exact same issues as you (i re-rated it last night and basically said what you said) aroma was awesome though!
Havnt had a chance to brew for a while so instead of letting my kegs sit around empty, i went down to Emersons Brewery, and now have their IPA and 'Bookie' on tap at mine. I dont think ill get much done this weekend!
Cheers
BJ
Nice one BJ... lucky you. How much do they charge for a fill? Assuming you are filling cornelius kegs.
Yeah, 20L. Its @ $6 per litre, which is fantastic value compared to buying at supermarket or bar.

Also tried new 2 new brewers reserves last night. 1 called 'Hoppy Jim', which was a very nice simple APA, and a 'summer Ale' that has had 'thyme' added to it, which was not to my taste, but very interesting.
An Epic Pale as I read this.

On Tap
Taipo Stunnner (100%Pale Malt, with 3 additions of Styrian Goldings)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service