Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tonight I have a range of Peak Brewery beers, something different.

Also question about IVC brewery. What is the difference between WASP Golden Ale and WASP Pilsner? (Other than than the name) Have they changed style or is it an addition to thier range of beers?

Chris
WASP the kistalweizen has been dropped.
The new WASP is the honey beer formerly known as Alpine.
Thanks Stu

Will update Ratebeer :)
yesterday was amazing, got through 7 micrbrews at the Twisted Hop Beerfest. Really liked the brew moon IPA and Twisted Hop Nokabollokov stout. Had our uni brew club bbq as well which was great tried some ok kit brews and a really sweet mead. Big props to the chch guys for showing up to.
Quite a varied drinking experiance this weekend, Emersons and Galbraiths Pilsner on friday, both tasting pretty good!

Roggenbier and Rye IPA before the Who concert on saturday (im really starting to really like Rye, gonna have to get more), followed by Speights (yuck - allthough better than other options)..

Last night a Greene King IPA (not an IPA at all, where are the hops?) still pretty quaffable, and a Three Boys Plum ale which I quite enjoyed!
The end of an era for me.

The Yakima Monster keg blew out yeast and hop sludge this week - I dont know when I'll brew that one again. Still - it was a treat to have in the fridge.

I had some Experiwheat this week - tasting very quaffable.

My current "drinking keg" is Ace of Spades - tasting like a pilsner with coffee in it. Hints of spicy hops too, and black cherry.

NVIOUS and I did a beer trade and I had some Blonde 3sum as well as the IPA. The IPA was out of this world - 100+ IBU 7% US Cascade and Amarillo. Hop Citrus character was orgasmic - freekin deeeelishisss. Very well fermented, and clean. The malt backbone was truly outstanding. Rating as high as any homebrew I've ever tasted.
Yakima Monster keg blew out yeast and hop sludge this week - I dont know when I'll brew that one again.

Sorry to hear of your loss Joking. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks Stu - it feels like I have lost a family member. I have plenty of hops to brew this again, but it's a bit of a "been there, done that" situation. I might use the Simcoe / Amarillo combo again in a maltier beer... we'll see.

A few bottles of the stuff made ther way down to Wellington, and I tried to get the recipients to share with you, Stu... obviously they didn't? No worries for you though... it seems you aren't a fan of uber hopped up beer?
Nope, nobody is sharing. Kempicus admitted he head one for me and wasn't going to share it - so mad props to him.

I'm a big fan of uber-hopped beer, as long as there is balance (I just put 500g+ of hops in about 20L of beer... Can't see anyone saying I don't like hops. Also look at the first two Yeastie releases - a "Black IPA" and easily the most bitter summer ale I've come across. I think that a lot of people get into good beer on the back of hops, just like a lot of people get into good curry on the back of a vindaloo, or into music on a big guitar sound (or "kiwi dub"). Balance is everything and too many people forget about the soul of the beer and just spice it up.

Email me your address and I'll send you a rigger of Kid Chocolate. I'm really proud of it, and I think Steve Nally is too. There's a whole world of interesting flavours out there and hops are only a tiny little piece of it...
That is indeed a generous offer: very much appreciated!

I guess I got the notion that you didn't like hoppy beer through your ratebeers, comments on here about locally brewed hoppy beer - and I guess your general attitude towards certain beer styles. My comments weren't aimed towards your Yeastie Boys products. I appologise if this is how you understood them. I haven't had any Yeastie Boy beer at all - New Plymouth offers very little in the way of beer to say the least.

Anyhow - Monster was popular amongst the homebrew fraternity... Completely unballanced - and aged poorly due to the heavy dry hopping. James was lucky when he got it - it was at its prime then. I doubt you would have regarded it highly! But nevertheless - your offer has inspired me to offer you some of my Celebration Ale... which too is very much unballanced!

I will email you in the morning.

Cheers.
Didn't understand the comments that way Joseph, just wanted to point out that I love hoppy beers enough to have released two very hoppy beers.
I loved Mike's freakish IPA. It was unrefined, and tasted more like a screwdriver than a beer in some respects, but it was crazy good. That young fella has some potential.

4 of my top 10 beers on ratebeer - which are to be taken with a pinch of salt beyond the fact that they are all great beers - are extremely hoppy: 1812 Anniversary, Oude Reserve, Burton Bridge Empire, Fullers Vintage. You could say Orval is too.

I'm just trying to convert the odd hophead to the dark side.... I'm a malt evangelist ;-) Luke will come back from the UK with a different perspective, I reckon. I reckon this trip will, hopefully, be the making of Epic's next moves.
In my defence i had the bottle and was quite willing to share also had a wee pressie for you but what with babies being born and travelling back to the UK time got away from me!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service