Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guinness and Stella were the last beers in Abu Dhabi, the Guinness ws very forgetable but it was good to have an ale aft endless forgetable lagers.

Picked up six packs of Coopers Sparkling and Pale from a bottle store in Surfers. Turned out that the bloke in there ws the brother of the owner of the Christchurch Your Shout shops, had a bit of a natter

Off to find something else for the weekend, next weekend will be back to the familiar old fridge at home, I've been missing it

Cheers, jt
More 'Aussie' beers . .
the Guinness is brewed here under license and I could't resist a rare bottle without a nitrogen widget. It's also 6% so an odd one to me
The 500ml LCPA were $10 for 2 the other day and thought I'd need some more today, but could only get the 330ml
I'm a bit nervous about the Wahoo - maybe it's the graphic on the bottle, but as I've never tried a Gage Roads beer, well here goes.
Likewise the James Squire beers, but I recall that their Amber used to be well regarded
Plenty of Monteiths and Tui beers and cider in the bottle stores ... not a Macs to be seen ?

Cheers, jt
Hmm, the james squire amber was pretty average, a good NZ draught or a dumbed down Sassy Red (compared to when it was good)
The IPA was a bit better, more character, but finishing very thin

The Gage Road Wahoo, White Rabbit Dark and a couple more LCPA tonight before heading home to the beer fridge

Cheers, jt

I was in Goldy/Brizzy last week - the LC pale & Amber were great, but the Wahoo was a little gimiky with the same "rifled" bottle neck as Tui. Have you made it up to the Mount Tamborine Brewery? Or the Craftbrewer shop in Capalaba? The beers at both were pretty good - the Bacchus Brewery, Fighting Falcon IPA was so good I bought a 5lt of it to bring home!!

The wahoo was as lame as the packaging, though without the rifled neck, dont think that would have omproved it any

The whire rabbit dark ale was ok but not inspiring, a nice quaffer

More of the LCPA. long time since a beer has tweaked my interest so much, might have to see about a few recipe pointers . . .

Cheers, jt

such a great pale ale that LCPA. It seems to suffer a bit from "they're too big" syndrome but I'd be hardpressed to pick a better pale ale in the southern hemisphere.

The most recent ones I've had have been a shade of their former selves - greatly diminished hop character. They were extremely unfresh, from the bottle at a Lion-tied bar. You would swear they dropped a ton of hops off the recipe.

The ones I had in Melbourne 2 years ago were fantastic.

Reckon it's just "they're too big" syndrome fooling my taste buds? Could be, either way the net effect was less flavour.

I concur, similarly the last bottle of LCPA I had was from a Lion pub, it was very very timid. Disappointed.

My only previous tasting was probably 5 or 6 years ago, a Friday night tasting session of several beers, tasted great then to my unsophisticated beer tastebuds.

Part of the problem could be either freshness or expectations. I've had a few beers over the years taste fantastic on first taste, ordinary when tried later. That's partly because I' not a regular beer buyer though maybe

Yeah, expectations can be a spoiler. I have always placed LCPA in the same bracket as say Epic and Croucher PA, and of course the classic SNPA. In this recent case, it did not compare well to any of those beers.

I can only really remember disappointment when drinking it in NZ. It's always in venues where I imagine it has really low turnover.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just go with the memory and the expectations then

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service