Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My self produced supplies are running low due to a fark up with the previous batch. So, I opend up my commercial supply containment device and was surprised by my stash.  Had way more than i remembered putting in there.  They may be copulating or something.

I mostly get Belgians when i buy stuff.  Its my favourite style by a huge margin. The only thing in there not belgian is some dogfish head 90min IPA and arrogant bastard.  Otherwise I have some Moa St Josephs, Leffe (blond, brun, and tripel), Duvel, Tripel Karmeliet, St Bernadus Abt 12, Westmalle tripel, Rochefort  8, La Trappe Quadrupel , Saison Dupont and some Tuatare Ardennes.

Life is goooood 

Drinking ? Chris's EPLC

I had a day off work today - trip up Kapiti way for jam strawberries and other produce in the morning and then back out to Titahi Bay to Chris's for some assistance re-aligning the gap on the barley crusher in the afternoon. (After 100+ batches it was time for a clean up and I didn't realise what crud had collected in the little spaces)

I managed to fight my way back out of the hop plantation and when I got home popped the bottle of his last lager in the bottom of the keg fridge. We'd brewed and talked about lagers last year and agreed that although they were ok, they'd benefit from some decent conditioning.

I haven't brewed a lager again as I don't have any temp control, but Chris does and his latest is streets ahead of anything either of us did last year

Cheers chap, good beer, good to see that someone has some paitence !

ps - just a hint of cara !

Cheers jt maybe its cos it was in a green bottle!

Now if only I could find some more Riwaka as I think the rest of it in the keg is in great danger!

Also I have to say having seen all the wearing/bearing components of jt's barley crusher after 100+ batches

despite the simple construction they are very well made - with very little wear having occured thus far!

Had the hell work out today , cutting and stacking wood in Waikanae i swear my sweat smelt like hops (big night last night).

Anyway popped into new world for some fresh fruit for the drive back to U Hutt and saw they were selling La Trappe Quadrupel (750ml Bottle) for $7 bucks , so if you like the Quad and you are driving past grab one, I got 3 for the cricket

Drinking ?

The 1.040 Super Alpha Pale Ale - bitter & resinous, Like a biting psuedo lager or a highly charged bitter, it's very refreshing !

Then a hydrometer sample of the 1.033 Super Alpha Brown Ale, less resinous but still has a sharp lingering bitterness.

There's a staple recipe in here somewhere with a bit of work I'm sure

cheers' jt

Good on ya jt. Your comments aren't inspiring me to brew with super alpha (yet) but I appreciate what it's like to explore something thats been in the back of you mind for a while.
Oh Mr Cherry, you're missing out on a classic New Zealand hop !

This has triggered a thought of brewing with 'Classic' NZ hops.
I'd thought of using hops released prior to say 2000, but there's a few too many notable ones in the 90's like Sauvin, Motueka and Riwaka.
Could be I have to go more retro than that
Green Bullet, Super alpha and Sticklebract!

Sticklebract, Green Bullet & Super Alpha for the great '70's Draught

Pacific Gem and Hallertau Aroma for the '80's version

Dropped into Galbraiths last night for a couple of quiets. Great to have a few beers outside on a hot night.

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA - absolutely fantastic beer, love that big fruity resinous thing that it has going on. A bit too easy to drink for something weighing in at 7%abv!

Townshend Sutton Hoo - another good 'un. Very light carbonation as you'd expect from gravity dispense, and I would personally have liked it a little cooler, but what a great flavour from a beer under 5%. Very satisfying, and with the low carbonation really quaffable - it was gone pretty quickly...

Galbraiths Bitter & Twisted - just as good as always, an easy drinking ESB with great hop and malt characters.

Was at Speakers corner last night and had a couple of pints of Galbraiths Bellringers, followed by a snakebite ;o) lol

Mate, was that bellringers on form, through the handpump, and it was absolutely delicious!! Makes me want to brew a bitter again, toffee, caramel, very moreish!! And the best part, only $7.80 a pint - cheaper than it is at the source?!? WTF eh? lol, not that im complaining!!

Now that I found out that a craft brew pub is 1/2 block away, I have a chance to try some new beers. :)

Tonight I had the following:

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Jack & Kens Ale - This is really a barleywine, it comes in at about 10%. Not a bad drop, and I would have again, especially as it was on tap. Having said this, I am not a big barleywine fan.

Dogfish head World Wide Stout - This imperial stout comes in at 18%. Wow this is strong! I did taste the alcohol, and ended up sipping it over a long time, but I felt that it really worked well with the style. 

Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy - This stout comes in at 9.4%. I had it from the tap, and it tasted quite nice. Having said this, I really enjoy stouts, but I think a lower alcohol % would be good for me. Again, I would have this again. No oxidation or off flavours at all.

Overall, a pretty good tasting session. I am glad I kept them down to 4oz glasses apart from the Barleywine!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service