Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just on my third bottle of PKB. It's good - I forget how little I've drunk of my own beer!

I see what all the hype is now ;-)
I had 2 Liters of Hallertau Stuntman last night...

... Now that's a great beer. Don't ask me what the abv is in it... ... I don't want to know! I went to bed at about 1:30 last night, and have woken up feeling fresh as a daisy.

Well... maybe not quite as fresh - but close enough, all things considered.

Get into it if you can - think of Maximus on steeroids, and then you'll be in the ballpark for this monster of a beer.

Cheers.
At 9.2% I'd say you are still intoxicated, which is why you feel so good.

report back at lunch time to let us know how you are feeling
Damn - 9.2%? No wonder I was so drunk.

I think the beer was the winner at the end of the day. I wasn't searching for faults, which made it even more enjoyable. The malt balance is what won me over. With my IIPA (that I have on tap at the moment) - she's pretty one dimentional: Pine Hops / Citrus Hops / Pungent Hops / Stone Fruit Hops. There's not a hell of a lot of character in the way of malt... other than the fact that it provides body for the hops to flourish in.

With Stuntman - I was picking up on a decent whack of Toffee from his Crystal malt... but there was an impressive amount of kettle caramelisation going on in there too. I was well impressed... all underneath these black currant / herbal / pungent hop overtones. The alcohol was well controlled - no heat or flavour. The aroma never faded... and even became more pungent as the flagon warmed up.

Good work Steve - keep up the good work.

Now I'm off for my mid morning nap.
+10

Met the Stuntman yesterday at the Malthouse. Dayam! First sip I was inundated with grapefruit, orange, passionfruit, it was a crazy fruit concoction. Then all the malt came through, got all that toffee and caramel goodness. Have to agree with Jo, it never lost any of it's flavour through the whole glass and you never would have picked 9.2%!

I would probably have this over Armageddon now. It might take an Apocalypse to match it.
Over the past three days:
- Harvest Cider: incredibly alcoholic, quite tasty, interesting aftertaste - not sure I can put my finger on it.
- Yeasties Boys Her Majesty: I want more of this...Hope the boys brewed enough. Both from rigger and Bar Ed.
Off the taps far spicer and delicious. Left the rigger a bit long (sorry Stu)
- Moa Dark Reserve: the bottle Dave sent not the best, the one from the awards was spectacular. Rich, nutty, beautiful head. Smelt delicious. Must find out which type of barrel it was aged in. Jonny's dad loved it.
- Flying Dog Amber lager...I know David didn't like it but I thought it had some interesting licorice flavours
- Brew Moon Darkside Stout: toasty coffee award winner.
- Bear Republic Racer 5: Nice and light hop flavours
- Tuatara Hefe: another award winner...spicey but a bit sweet for my tastes on a Friday eve
- Mike's Organic Ale: While improved, really smells like a wet sheep to me. Perfectly fits the style category though - lovely reddish colour.
- Cock and Bull draught: DELICIOUS. I don't want to start another fight but if this is what an NZ draught was like, that would be perfect but, it is soo not a draught. Orangey bitterness was really good.
- Nor'wester: which I thought was awful.. Must have been something wrong with this one. Tasted like a fermented compost jar.
- Emerson's pils: this has got to be one of my "if you could only drink 5 beers for the rest of your life" beers. A bit of sulphur on the nose.
- Tsumani Dorryman's Dark: Very nice. Didn't taste this at the awards but had a good, rounded taste.
Ninkasi Pale ale: very disappointing...I tasted orange bubble gum but comments such as BO and pickles were made.
- Emerson's Weizenbock: you can see how they won an award. Sweet, bananaery spice.
- Emerson's beWITched: very alcoholic...Jonny voted for it.
- 3 Boys Wheat: cannot complain about scoring a 12 pack of these. Very enjoyable after an afternoon of gardening.
- Maui Big Swell IPA from the can: I really like this. A nice, balanced VERY drinkable IPA that I would drink again if I had the chance. I love the idea of taking cans to a BBQ. The cans are cool, the beer was fresh, the hops were tasty.
- Dogfish head 90 minute Imperial IPA: you can taste the alcohol...I am drinking it now and not too sure. Can taste some hops but blown away by the alcohol
- Renaissance APA from the tap at Bar Ed was tasting bloody good - fresh, hoppy, spritzy, greenish.
- Plan K: not surprsingly, cannot remember this except that I was excited to have some from Bar Ed
I agree, Cock and Bull Draught is really damn good. Enough hop there to keep us beer nazis happy but not too much to scare off the average beer drinkin' folk. That and Fuggles are my go to session beers when at a C&B.

I love how at a C&B so many patrons are drinking tap beer. Could be cause it's cheaper and all that, but meh, still awesome.
too lucky to go there for a drink. i am jealous.
Shane, Sam & the crew have done a great job with the Draught at C&B. Definitely drinkable for all.
Damn, was at the C&B last night for Fathers Day/My brother's birthday dinner. Forgot to try the Draught. I was feeling a bit dodgy, so just had the new Ginger Beer (really refreshing, but not a beer), and a pint of Fuggles. Tasted Alex's Epic - the poor presentation issues are back in Hamilton it seems, as the Epic Pale Ale was thin and watery, and I KNOW it's not the beer. The Dark Star was tasting good (tasted Dad's) - a great example of a porter. Wish I'd tried the draught. I might have to have a swift pint later this week.
oops...His Majesty...Not at Bar ed. Confused. And, Pelican Doryman's...need to start taking some notes.
"Her Majesty" - not even brewed yet. but the trials are oh so good. you just wait...

Bar Ed has "Plan K", also been drinking tonight (a sneaky flagon). So different to what else is out there, and again, so good. But if you have drunk all that in the last 3 days, then respect...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service