Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had some Helles at Hallertau last week... Not bad - but not Helles either. A little IAA and sulphur on the nose - and a very "Export" type body. I cant complain though - it's better than any lager I've ever made before.

Also had some of this latest batch of Epic at the "Brew on Quay" last night. I had 6 of them quite easily. Fresh, bitter and thirst quenching. It's not the "Epic" that I'm used to - but it makes for a beer that I can drink in a session. Normally I'm struggling to get the 6th Epic down - but this one was giving me fond memories from my trip to the West Coast of USA. It's certainly as dry as the booze you get over there... probably not what you want in the winter time - but I was honestly not caring about the current season as I was drinking this beer.

I didn't even get to have a taste of the Dux De Lux beer, the Tuatara Pils nor the Moa brand beers...
I had an awesome talk to Shane Morely from Steam Brewing too - this guy is a legend! You Aucklanders should be drinking more C & B beer!!!!

He was a wealth of information - and I tried my very hardest to soak it up (like a sponge) - and what he doesnt know about yeast isn't really worth knowing.
I also shared a Blonde with Shane last week, he is a great guy to talk with. I am not a homebrewer but still was very interested in what had to say about what he was brewing.
Tuatara Helles
I remember thinking similar... A very difficult beer to brew, to sell and to have stable enough to stand up over time. It is good already and think it'll grow into a great beer in subsequent batches.
Monty Python Holy Grail and Fullers ESB.
The Monty Python is quite impressive, a touch of sulphur in there, but a wonderful beer. It makes me think, I can never brew a beer that comes anywhere close to touching a good british pale ale/ bitter. In fact I reckon brewing a kick ass english pale is more of a challenge then a similar quality American one. Those hops may hide a multitude of sins? The only ingredient I haven;t been able to use are East Kent Goldings. Are they that crucial?
EKG are amazing. They really are. If I could have a lifetime supply of one hop... that'd be it.

However... English ales require a huge (and balanced) amount of knowledge of malt, hops, yeast and water. I know what you mean. I've brewed a really really great bitter once. Three times I've tried the same recipe and failed. They've been good but not great.

As for the sulphur... love it in the right way in a good English ale. Really love it.
No, they're not, but a good percentage of English hops will keep it more in tune with the real deal.

What yeast are you using?

I had the same feeling about bitter's a while back, failure after failure, drinkable but no where near being a good bitter.

I've just brewed a bitter that's pretty good - I stopped using SO4, and went to Wyeast 1968 and also some water adjustment, has made the world of difference, while still not an award winning bitter, it's on par and will be up there with some tweaking.
When I try to brew a bitter I use SO4, I'm finding it is a very unforgiveable yeast. If you don;t treat it right it can throw all sorts of nasty flavours, the US05 much more lenient. I've used 1968 a few times and its a great yeast, but I think it only goes so far in that it will give a lovely malt profile but there is a certain dry "woodiness" to a good bitter, is that all hops? I haven't treated my water either which I'm sure would help, I use rain water. What's a suitable amount to add, I've never been really sure how to "burtonise" my water.
Maybe I need to get t=some sulphur in there...
Um, I would say if you are trying to do a Fuller's, EKG are pretty essential. It's a staple English hop, and I think you would be struggling for the same flavour, if that's what you are after. Also, IMHO, if you are really trying to do an English Ale, you need a liquid yeast. Dry yeast, just won't give you the characteristics and depending on how pedantic you are, you may be disappointed with the result. A really reliable and user friendly English ale yeast is:

Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale - Manufactured 11th May 2009.

Great yeast strain with unique fermentation and flavour characteristics. Distinct fruit ester and high flocculation provide a malty complex profile, also clears well. Thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete.

Don't get too hung up on the diacetyl rest, but it is a really sturdy, good ale yeast and will give you the flavours you seek. Seriously, that would be where you fall down. Yeast character is really important in an English Ale. I would put you in to Tim Taylors- West Yorkshire, but I think it hard to get now. If you can get it, then do it.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=51">
Thanks Tony, I've been keen to try another english liquid yeast and that sounds like a good endorsement. As for the EK Goldings, sure I;d love to try them but almost impossible to get hold of I'm finding. NZ goldings I've been pretty dissapointed with.
EKG and liquid yeast from craftbrewer in Aus, internet order, I've made a few orders of yeast and hops from them, touch wood, no dramas.
If 1968 isn't working for you try another liquid strain, as long as it's English and in the same attenuation range then it's good start, different yeasts suite each brewery differently.

Is that woodiness you're picking up a dry hop, tannin, kinda thing? Some water adjustment may do a similar thing harshening bitterness and all that.

It's hard to say how much to add to rain water without getting it analysed. What's your tapoline like? Rain water should be pretty mineral free but who knows?

For East Auckland water, which is pretty low in minerals, for 30L of total brewing liquor I added

0.35g calcium chloride
1.40g Table Salt
1.75g Calcium Carbonate
2.54g Epsom Salt
8.75g Gypsum

Which gives me something like

Ca - 104ppm
Mg - 10ppm
Na - 30ppm
SO4 - 207ppm
Cl - 50ppmm
HCO3 - 65ppm

Actually now that I look at it that HCO3 is a little low if you're all grain brewing.

If you're extract brewing I wouldn't add anything at all, maybe a touch of gypsum if anything.

There's some links in 'The Library' thread which are a good read if you're interested in water chemistry.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service