Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hello All,

New to the forums here, and new to beer making. My goal is a pint of ale that feels and tastes like it's been served in a Scottish pub. I'm going to start with kit beer and work my way to hops/grain.

Where does everybody prefer to buy their stuff from? Where can I get the best selection. Internet? Or their local store? Where is cheaper?

Thanks,
Tim

Views: 491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends where you live. I buy everything I can from Brewer's Coop in Mt Wellington, Auckland.

Hauraki Homebrew seems to be the only place with a decent online store.

BTW, I'd say skip the kit and go straight to an extract with hops recipe, just my two cents.
Ditto this , if you can boil water, steep & plunge coffee then this is the best way to go.

www.howtobrew.com for the basics
Sorry, I should really have said - support your local shop if they offer value, both in the goods they offer & the advice

It makes little sense to have extract & kits shipped around the country. Hops & grains are a different story and if your local shop doesn't have what you need, then go for value. no point getting a kg of sometging mailed from the other end of the counrty if it's available on your doorstep.

Plan your brewing, buy in bulk and save.

best online shopping - hauraki, best range - brewers coop (nice looking range of weyermanns in at the moment too), worth a look, the dunedin malthouse as something odd, usefull or unusual always turns up there

Good question asking where to buy, next question is where is the good advise - I haven't had any from my local this century

cheers jt
Where is the good advice? On here of course - I've had nothing but good advice on the forums here.

Will be putting Batch #3 (Yankiwi Pale) in bottles tomorrow and placing an order (probably with Hauraki) this week for an Alt that I'll hopefully be kicking off next weekend. I think every brew I've done has involved advice from some of you guys. Many thanks.

Martin
I'll add another vote for Hauraki Homebrew. They've always been very helpful to me in my early days as a homebrewer.

Cheers,

Martin
Brewers Coop - supporters of the national homebrew store - should be high on anyone's list.
There is also a store in Waikato - the name escapes me but the owner (Stephen) did particularly well in the homebrew comp, so he is probably good for advice.
Almost all of the craft commercial brewers seem to have started out as homebrewers - they are good for advise, or the odd bit of unusual ingredients.
Yes, HomeBrewed - Mike & Cherie ?

I called in there soon after they had opened - they were (sounds like they still are) very enthusiatic
Having said that, I've just gone online to place an order for my next batch and the Hauraki Homebrew website appears to be dead. Hopefully they'll get it sorted soon.

Martin
I buy grain from Cryer Malt.
Hops from NZ Hops.
Yeast from morebeer in USA.
Water is from the tap!

In extract days I used muntons and black rock, from the local brewer's world. I tried Mac's a couple of times and thought they were pretty good. Not so keen on the Coopers but they were ok. If Iwas doing it now, I'd certainly try the Weyermann extract from Brewers Cop. give Mike a call. He's a top guy and always keen to talk homebrew.
All good replies here Tim, here's a few details that might help

Brewer's Coop
Shop 9/2 Harris Rd Mt Wellington
Auckland
09 525 2448
brewerscoop@clear.net.nz

Mike & Pip Ellwood

Very helpful, has the best bulk grain deals & is very reasonable with his pricing in general. (Was in there Thursday)

------------------------------------------------0----------------------------------------------------

Home Brewed
63B Kent St
Frankton
Hamilton
07 847 3210

Steve & Cherry - Also very helpful (as mentioned previously Steve brews himself) and quite happy to show you his gear and methods. Has a good stock of small packs of grain.

------------------------------------------------0----------------------------------------------------
Dunedin Malthouse
596 Hillside Road
Dunedin
03 456 0297

sales@dunedinmalthouse.co.nz

Dennis Lumb

The best guy to get you started, has heaps of recipes and all the advice and ingredients needed. Will cost a little more, however the results will be surprise you.

90% of my stuff from brewshop.co.nz the rest allgrain.co.nz

Get most of my ingredients from brewshop.co.nz as they have a great range, easy to navigate website and it's convenient to get stuff delivered to my door. If I need something same day then homebrew west is just down the road, sometimes get stuff from hauraki if I find myself over on the shore. I like brewers coop as they have a great range and friendly staff but it's a bit of a drive when I have more convenient options available.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service