Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I have decided I ned a pump. It needs to pump boiling wort and be sturdy. Flowrate, maybe 5L/min or so, maybe less can do it, I don't know...? I would like to be able to whirlpool with it eventually.

Craftbrewer has got a couple but with shipping that will probably get pricey:

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2969
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=909

Can I get something like this locally?

What do you guys use, is it good and where can I get it?

Cheers

Views: 1218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Mike & Joseph - have you had any issues with your pump leaking? Mine seems to be leaking a bit out of the bottom casing.
Take that non-return valve out from the inlet... it's probably melted and giving you issues there. You dont need it if the pump is below the outlet.

Also - check the 3 bolts on the cover plate - one or two may be lose. If not - replace the O ring in the front.

If it's ;eaking out the shaft seal - it's over rover. Too much pumping into a closed valve!
sweet - got the non return out after some prying - and it was a bit melted. Tightened the 3 bolts on the cover plate - the o-ring looked ok.

What/where is the shaft seal?
It comes from the motor into the pump - you can't replace these without a new mechanical seal - so fingers crossed you didsn't fuck it.

I always have flow from the output valve: ALWAYS. The minimum I put through is about 2L per minute.
hmm, ok. had lots of moments with the outlet closed. oh well if i have fucked it i'll be getting a march pump when i go to the states lol (and this pump relegated to draining my fish bins on the boat ha!). Also my fly sparging (when I do fly sparge) is slooow. Took me 1hr 10 to get about 32l into the kettle - so I look to speed this up huh?
It should be OK to sparge at that speed - I normally drain the tun for the first 20mins, and sparge for 40... each to their own though. I figure I dont want the pump on load for more than half an hour at a time.

I work with pumps every day as a J.O.B and as such get a bit anal about their operation.
i got this one for 100 plus 15 postage which i thought was a bit of a steal,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=230636478

not used it yet though, i have a couple of fittings due to arrive in the next few days then i'm away:-)

james p,how do you clean lead deposits from brass as my fittings are brass
Have a look at John Palmers online guide to metallurgy.

Under brass, hydrogen peroxide (3%) for 5 mins or until it starts to turn the colour of butter. The first time I did it, I used 6% and had to redo the cleaning again. Easy as and I do it every 2 / 3 months.
So I went to use my Trademe pump the other day and it wouldn't work. I could hear it sort of trying to turn over.....

Anyways I bought myself a march pump which just got delivered.

Can someone please confirm to me the wiring? (pump wires are black, white, green/yellow):

I believe its:
Black = P
White = N

So that leaves me with one broken pump. Is it worth getting looked at (cost me about $130)?
It is American yes? If it is american then Black is phase. White is neutral.

Is it the 240V or 120V? (Don't plug it in if it's 120V!)
Yes it is US - and the 240v version. Are you rocking a march pump too?
I have an old school march pump, which I am yet to wire up for the brew rig... too much other stuff on to get to my rig!!!!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service