Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just a brief note to let everyone know that Renaissance's 'Elemental' Porter and 'Stonecutter' Scotch Ale are well and truly on top of their game at the moment.

My brother popped around on Friday night with a bottle of each and I enjoyed them so much that I went out on Saturday and purchased some more (I'll check the batch numbers when I get home, to confirm what model I'm drinking - it's very rare for me to drink the same beer twice in a weekend, unless it's my own!). Both beers were much fuller and fresher than I'd ever tasted them before and the Porter, especially, had a much better balance of malt sweetness to carry all of the hops and roast malt.

I've always enjoyed the two Renaissance darker beers but had come across some pretty major issues with the two pale ales (fermentation issues, and possibly packaging ones too) and had voiced them on the old RealBeer forum. The last couple of times I've tried the 'Discovery' APA and the 'Perfection' Pale Ale they appear to have been significantly improved. So, on Saturday night, I also picked up a bottle of Perfection Pale Ale and am pleased to report that this too was absolutely delicious. It was as good as I'd tasted it and one of the better hoppy pale ales I've had recently.

Go Renaissance. I like the gutsy styles these guys are brewing, I'm glad they've managed to stick around this long, and I'm really glad to see their brews hitting their straps. Long may it continue.

Slainte mhath
Stu

ps. Rumour is that they are also launching a NZ-style 'Pilsner' soon too. Keep an eye out for it. I guess it may only be on tap at first but we might see it in bottles too.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'Mad props' to renaissance! i always enjoy their beers especially stonecutter!
Yeah, I agree about the porter, its a massive beer. I seem to remember the renaissance APA at one of the regional tastings last year being mentioned for its acetylaldehyde (sp?) or the green apple flavour? But apparently it was on purpose according to the brewer. Is that the fermentation issues your referring to Stu?
Yes, that was what I was referring too - nobody would purposely put that in beer (except A-B, who apparently leave it in there with their funny woodchip thing - weirdos). It's damn awful - just smelling it can give me a headache.
Elemental batch 0054, Stonecutter 0053, Perfection 0045 - magic, magic and really really nice.
Respect.
Perfection & Discovery kegs are on their way to Galbraiths for you lucky Aucklanders!!!!
Good stuff Stu, that's the sort of precision i like, takes out the guesswork!
I'd say pretty much anything on the shelf is pretty good right now but those ones are right on...
Had a crack at some Renaissance beers last night at the beer club.
The were the same as all other times, average beers with various faults through the range.
Don’t know how much you cats are getting paid but I’m keen to sign up.

Nice logo though…………

Rage Against the Meheen.
$25 a word....i've written a 600 page novel about it.....just going through the editing phase at the mo....
I had about 100ml of Discovery or Perfection (can't remember which now) given to me at last years BrewNZ "tasting" festival (upstairs ni the Wellington Town Hall). I introduced myself to owners(?) Brian and Andy. They knew who I was from my disparaging comments on the old RealBeer forum but were quite friendly (well, Brian was, Andy was busy giving free samples to loads of other people). I tasted it in front of them and said I still got a van load of acetaldehyde.

Brian once gave me a beer (small glass) at The Malthouse. Can't remember what it was but it had a little acetic acid on the nose (vinegar), so was obviously badly oxidised.

I've not got any problems since.

So, all up I've received 100ml of beer and a friendly welcome rather than a punch in the nose. James Kemp - I need your agent ;-)

I also once shared a free bottle of their Bourbon Porter but that was definitely at The Malthouse's expense.

I believe I've declared everything there.

I'm leaning towards thinking of them being, pound-for-pound, "the best brewery in New Zeland today". Discovery may well be their weak link, and consistency is unknown at this stage. Their logo and beers may have had inauspicious starts but they are tasting good to me now.

I've actually received more free tastings from Hallertau ;-) Though it is hard to keep a guage on those beers from this far away - when are you getting them to my local bottle store Steve?
"pound-for-pound, the best brewery in New Zeland today" based on freebies.....i like that as a new discussion!

Tell you what Stu, send me some 'pot kettle' or Golden Boy and i'll be voting for yeastie boys....at the moment Epic takes it with a whole pint of Armageddon from Luke as the only brewery that's ever given me a freebie ;0)
send me some 'pot kettle'...

SOBA members watch this space.

Most "freebies" have come from Invercargill (and most of that would have been consumed by people at Kieran's handpumps). However, considering YB's just paid him a few thousand dollars we are getting back towards even ;-)

Steve Nally's my pick for the best "experimental brewer" (pound-for-pound, of course), and he really egged Sam and I on when we were adding the hops to PKB. He also makes the best brewery-branded pie.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service