Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys, looking to brew a Hoegaarden-style witbier for my next AG batch, but not sure which yeast to use. I'm still on dry yeast so it looks like a choice of either K-97 or WB-06. Does anyone have experience of both, and able to offer advice on which will give the best result?

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The next round of liquid yeasts is still on until next Friday, so you could check out some of the Wyeast offers?
K=97 is a german Ale yeast which can be good for Witbiers like Hoegaarden and what not, but if youre looking at something like a Hefe-Weizen, or Dunkel-Weizen id say WB-06 is your best bet...

But what id really suggest as the better option, is to go and buy yourself a bottle of Emersons Dunkel Weiss and culture up the yeast out of that, I did so recently and got some nice banana smells out of it :o)
Woops, I just read you were after a Hoegaarden style, so stick with the k-97, I did a Hoegaarden clone and used this yeast, it came out tops :o)
Wyeast 3944 recently gave me a beautiful wit. I'm a fan of the economics of S04 and S05 but I think if you're going to brew anything belgian (anything, in fact where the yeast is one of the predominant flavour components) you need a liquid culture.
It seems like liquid is the way to go - I think I'll get a few more AG brews under my belt before going that way though, to make sure I've got the rest of it fairly consistent. Don't want to waste the good stuff on a dodgy brew!
Just an update on this - went to pick up ingredients tonight from Mike at Brewers Coop and evidently K97 isn't available in dried form anymore, so that's the choice made for me!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service