Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the reply Doug, I'll leave this issue alone now.

Changing the topic completely, I have one request for NZ Hops to do an even better job of meeting their customers needs.

When I buy a bag of pellets I'd really like to see the harvest date on the bag. I'm sure there is a taste difference between hops which are 6 months, 18 months or 30 months old and when I'm standing at the fridge scratching my head this is exactly the kind of information which would help me decide what I'm going to buy and brew.

I suspect that undated packaging is a worldwide hop industry convention, but dating the package would be a lot more consumer friendly and would be more in line with the conventions of most other food growing industries.

Because of the current shortage I guess there is not much of anything in storage right now, so there has never been a better time to change. Of course dated packaging on imports would be nice too.

cheers
I cant see how domestic growers can be an un-tapped source of revenue, unlike the u.s. we are a very small country with a very small amount of brewers, let alone those who have the inclination, or the space to grow hops, for instance if 100 homebrewers bought a rhizome at $10 each, thats only a thousand dollars revenue from the supplier and 100 is probably close to the customer base I would expect probably less, therefore its alot of risk and lost sales for a measly grand.

NZ hops are really affordable anyway!

I grow hops, one variety, mostly for the novelty, and the unique taste difference I get, to be honest i would indeed like to have 1-2 more types but I wouldnt have anywhere to grow them.
I'm kinda half and half on the subject on whether or not it would be 'right' for NZHops to sell rhizome.

One part of me says that the local homebrewers are a tiny part of your profit and that sales of rhizomes within NZ wouldn't harm you.

The other part of me says that you've worked hard to create what you have and shouldn't give it away. I guess it also gives the chance that another hop farm would open in compitition to you growing your varieties - which I assume is your main concern.

And on your comment about not growing successfully North of Gisbourne...Maybe on a commercial basis but my cascade cross (that was from a rhizome from one of your seeds) grew fine at my place in Auckland and even gave a good first year yield. Hallertau Bar's hops looked to do fine also. I believe NZBrewer is in Auckland, his also seemed to grow well...

Anyway, thanks Doug for popping in and leaving some comments, it's good to hear from someone in your position.

Cheers.
How're everyones hops going?

I've planted 3 x Dan's cascade rhizomes that are starting to pop up. And have got a space in the garden for another plant.

I've got two, maybe three, Danscade seedlings (rhizomelings?) that I would be willing to give away or trade for smoothcone or fragrant gardens German variety. I'm in Auckland, would prefer pick up but may be able to send them.
Mystery german is growing nicely. One of them is over 30cm now. Yesterday I mulched them with some spent grain.
My Fragrant Garden mystery hops have just broken the surface which made me very happy
after seeing what may as well be a plain bucket of dirt since i brought them!
Do they need fertilizing?
Cheers Chris
I would love a Danscade seedling only I don't have any hops to offer and I'm in Welly :(

Let me know If you don't get a better offer than that, maybe we can sort something out.
I'll also put my hand up for one if you can't give them away locally denimglen.
Hi Demiglen.

I have some smoothcone in Auckland if you are keen to trade for some of that danscade. I'll be free to trade on Sunday if you are interested. Hopefully this deal can be settled along with some homebrew!
I hate goats and my father in law, not necessarily in that order.

Needless to say my 2 hops plants are dead.

I'm going to check with Fragnant Gradens to see if they have any more...
Are you sure they're dead? These things are pretty impossible to actually kill from what I've heard.

Unless the goat (or your father-in-law) ate the whole rhizome, they may still sprout up again this season if looked after.
Alas the goats made short work of all my plants in the same area, however I'll have a look next year and hope for the best!

I'll pass on this lot as there is a heap of interest! And I'm also heading to the coast this year for a little look for the Kortegast hops.

Certainly putting my hands up for a Danscade next year! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service