Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All
(Hopefully I didn't miss a thread here, I searched first!)
Just wanted to see if anyone has rhizomes available this year? I hear there is a shortage, however if there are any suppliers anyone knows of I would be keen to given them a go!

Maybe we can get a list of suppliers going? I see in the old forum that Stephen @ Hallertau may have been one of them, any ideas?

Cheers

Views: 17323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I think by themselves is fine bearing in mind I am not the most avid green thumb so hopefully someone else can answer that one,

I have most of mine in pots but the German is in the ground, if I was to do it again I would build a long planter box to try and control them as they just go nuts and send shoots in all directions under ground

My first year smoothcone went nuts and I took it out the year after as it sent side shoots about 3m in every direction. If you don't want it taking over your garden then I would go pots (i now have it in a half rain barrel and it seems to have grown fine) 

If you have plenty of space in a lifestyle block then I would find a nice large area you can mow around (so you can control the next years laterals) and plant there. If you can put in a telegraph pole, or some other support, then you can just grow them up string to the top. They typically grow about 8m in my experience. 

It is fine to plant them together, but if you have two varieties be careful as they will intertwine and trying to figure out which hop is which would be a nightmare! 

similar experience with my smoothcone, first year grew up and no flowers, from second year on it went absolutely bonkers. I had to rip it out, took a fair amount of killing too!

would definitely be interested in a few more varieties Hamish if your sharing the love

Yeah can split a few off, what are you after?

Same as William would be awesome mate.  sticklebract and german unknown if you've got enough rhizomes to spare.  I'll PM you my details

Cheers - Scott

No problems will let you know when I've had a dig

I have another question for you growers. Would growing them in a tub like this be big enough to keep them happy? (promise I wont use the pink one)

It is a 60L tub. If not I can put them in the ground but the 1 spot that I have that is perfect during the summer gets very wet during winter.

I've got three of mine growing in tubs about that size, they will still grow happily but just won't shoot off to see your neighbours, just as long as you can put some string up to something for them to grow up it should all be good

Sounds good. I have a garage wall that will be perfect for them to climb. Roughly 8m tall so that will work perfect.

Got my hop trellis constructed, thought you guys might be interested in a look.  Installed automatic irrigation because I know they'll die if left to my care.  I've started the rhizomes in pots and will transplant into raised bed once they get going.  How long would you expect before I start to see shoots?

Nice Scott looking pretty impressive.

How tall is that?

I'm still trying to get my hands on some rhizomes so will post up some pics when I have my setup.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service