Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

This is a cry for a little assistance to brewers in Wellington who use kegs. But firstly a brief disclaimer, I'm unsure if there's any etiquette involved in asking to borrow/rent equipment (i.e just don't ask) off a homebrewer so if there is just call me naive and say go buy your own keg pal!

So my situation, a good friend is going back to Germany in July, as you'd expect this would be grounds for a party, and being German and considering her friends, beer will be a central theme. I have decided to set myself to task on making a beer for the occasion. I have done these things in the past from bottles and although its ok, a keg, as those who use theme will surely attest is superior in such situations.
My request: is there anyone in the area who'd be interested in lending a keg setup to me for a negotiable retainer (either liquid or cash)? My time frame is for July 5th and it will be in Northland (in wellington, not wairarapa).

Ok, hypothetically somone has agreed, a few questions. What sort of time should I allow to have the beer ready ,I'm 4/5 weeks out at the moment, planning on a NZ pale ale again, so reasonably quick fermentation/conditioning time?

Question 2, how will the beer travel, I brew at home in the wairarapa. Would it be advisable to brew it in Wellington ready to go into the keg once its done without any agitation?

Question 3, Any other advice on the matter for young players would be thankfully received.

Cheers!

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Bam, any offers yet ?
A complete system mite be pushing it, but you might find the component pieces more readily loanable.
I can contribute a liquid disconnect and picnic tap. I can't gaurantee having a keg free though.
That just leaves a keg and some gas to sort
Hi Bambule

I won't have a free keg. I've got 6 full and 2 that need to be filled (hopefully I'll get a chance to do it this weekend). I do have one more keg but it is not holding pressure and need some work (maybe parts). I am also planning to brew in a few weeks so will need to knock some beer off before that is ready for kegging!

You are more than welcome to use my gas, regulator and picnic tap. You could buy a keg off Stephen Plowman. It is a useful conditioning vessel that will last forever, and it doesn't cost all that much more than a plastic fermenter from the homebrew store.

My advice would be to use two kegs - cold condition and carbonate in one, and then rack to the other to take to the party. Stand it in a chilly bin or bucket of ice and water - it'll stay cold (that's what we did at the homebrew fest last year).

If your friend was british and wanted real ale it would be much easier! I could have lent you a handpump.

Cheers
Stu
Hey thanks for the efforts. It did occur to me that if I had a keg(s) it would be a rare occasion that it would be sitting around empty.
Could you give me Stephen Plowman's contact (is he the guy at Hellertau?). Stu, the possibility of a real ale is not out of the question, their tastes are not bounded by country, just so long as there are lots of hops. Come to think of it I have some fuggles, styrian goldings and some 1968 yeast, I'm halfway there!
Much obliged chaps.
email me on stu at soba - i'll fix you up with some options (I've just remembered I know someone who is possibly selling their kegs). We can also discuss the beer engine, if you want to look at that option.
Can't help with the equipment but I'd allow 2 weeks to ferment, 2 days to cold crash and clear, then 2 weeks to carbonate. This is what I generally do with my beers and they're ready to drink by then. IMO any earlier and they still taste 'green'.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service