Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'm faced with getting a corny full of homebrew from Wellington to Dunedin (and an empty one back again). Does anyone have a suggestion for the best/cheapest way of transporting it? I'm assuming I'll have access to co2 when I get there. Options that occur to me are:
- check it in as domestic luggage (has anyone ever done this?)
- taking a spot on a palette of empty Emersons kegs (how much would this cost?)
- some other freight option

cheers

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Empty one shouldn't be too hard to get back, but I don't envy you the freight on a full corny of beer! They're not exactly light.
I don't have any advice on what would be the best/cheapest way, but I do know that unless you filter you'll need at the very least a week to let the beer settle once it arrives. I took 2 kegs on the road earlier this year, they were no where near crystal clear by the time they got to the destination. Still drinkable but not presented at their best.
Pretty much agree with Barry.

A couple of other thoughts:
You could carbonate in one keg and then transfer to another just before heading off. I moved 4 kegs 500m about 15 months ago and wished, later, that I'd done this. They tasted ok but didn't present all that well.
Take a car? Or ferry to Picton and hire a car from there.
Courier - probably $20 or so - maybe a bit more.
I imagine getting it on a pallet with commercial kegs being more of a hassle than the courier fee you might save.
I think my best bet is to find a friend of the bridegroom who is driving down.

I was thinking of conditioning in the carboy in the fridge before kegging to prep it for travel.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service