Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok - so this might seem a little weird and PC by my usual standards but in team meetings at work I encourage people to give a quick "barometer" check of their week to see how they are going. It helps people crystallize their thoughts into the essential things that are going on. So I thought I would try it here on the forum.
There are only 3 rules:
1. You must provide an answer when asked as you would in a team meeting at work - if you are lucky enough ;-) (volunteer out of turn - it's fine on a forum);
2. You may have as many highs for the week as you can reasonably think of but at least one is compulsory; and
3. You may have a maximum of only 1 low for the week.

So what are my items this week? Glad you asked....

Highs:
1. California Lager yeast (Wyeast 2112) - wow, just loving it and the fact that beers take so little time to condition up!
2. Quick disconnects for my gas on my corny kegging system - how did I live before hand. If people want to get you a cheap but valuable present for birthday/father's day/any other reason then get them to buy you a QD's for less than $35.
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=964

Low:
1. Promising 15L of beer to a friend on Friday 30th May and knowing that you don't have a hope in hell as it's that good it won't last that long! ;-)

B

Views: 676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll defintely wear the shirt on the day (just might be after the race). I think running in black t-shirt might make the difference between me finishing or not..
OK but only because you have a horses head on your pic. I just wish it was lying on a pillow.
My Low - was going to order my brew kettle early on this week as well, only to find the person selling those big pots on trademe seems to have disappeared (none for sale right now). Where did you get your one from?
TradeMe guy in Papakura (maxch7788 or email maxch7788@yahoo.co.nz)

Ask him to put some more on - I'm sure he imports load of them.

Haven't used the kettle yet, but looks fine and is nice and shiny.
if you are in Auckland go to Asian Pan & Steel in Mt Albert. Its a factory unit near the seamart on the same side of the road. 45L pot for $80 odd.
Cheers. If I don't hear from the trademe guy I'll be straight off to Mt Albert during my lunchtime on Monday :-)

I was initially dreaming of a mighty big pot (60L) so that I can do 2 batches at once - no chill it - and therefore spend about half the number of weekends ignoring the wife and kids.

The recent brewday that reviled held really got me hooked!
Hauraki Home Brew has a 30L stainless pot for $109 with free delivery in the North Island: http://www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=90&prod...
Which is exactly what I have but dont get it cos its simply not big enough... Plus the price in comparison to others out there is quite high..

Andrew - I really would reccommend if you can afford to get 60-70litre pot, cos the ability to do double batches is priceless IMO!
High: Just had Oakham Asylum....what a beer!!! Amazing stuff!
Low:
Beerstore order arrived while I was out so got home to a calling card.

High:
Went to pick up the Beerstore box on Friday and the woman behind the counter came back 20L of Kid Chocolate too! Tossing up where to use it...
Loving the case swap. It's been as exciting as the Beerstore order for me. You guys can sure brew some beer!

Had a great month. My bro, and his wife and two kids, were out from Scotland. Good times, great taste (of great beer), at McKinlay's.
Low:
Odd infection in latest porter. Smells like vinegar, and despite encouragement from Stu, Dale and Nolen I'm ditching it - it really, really honks. Think the fault is either bad sanitation on my part, chilling overnight without a good seal on my kettle or bad yeast - suspect the first two, though need to get into the habit of tasting my starters before I pitch. Decently fucked off at having to chuck 20L, especially since the levels in my last keg are low.
High:
Ditching the rest of those awful red and blue capped Brewcraft 'sanitation' bottles. I never had any trust in them.
Encouragement to buy a weldless bulkhead fitting for my kettle, pump and starting to insulate my system.
Ordered another load of grain and Iodaphor from liberty, thanks Stu!

Low:
Will miss the West Coast Challenge and IBD.
High:
Over in San Fran for 10 days - liquor stores and brew shops here I come! :P
Bummer about that infection. Just try to learn what you can from it. The worst drain pours are the ones that you don't learn from. I had several infected brews about 6 months ago. I changed all my plastic fermenters & associated bits, became anal about sanitation, switched to Starsan and it's been good ever since. Very upsetting times though. Almost gave up brewing at one point.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service