Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

DIY ..Project, refrigeration engineer...fermentation cabinet

Fermentation Cabinet Project

I enjoy noodling , fettling and building projects for the challenge, fun  and the result...not necessarily for budget and cost cutting reasons I might add!

I have embarked on a workshop project to build a fermentation cabinet for my basic kit keg fermenter and I intend to use a dehumidifier as the source of "cool".  Just because I have one and it will be a challenge and of course I need a cooling source.!

I already have built a temp controller from the ubiquitous STC1000.

Before I post up some photos and some details of my project...I wanted to ask if there are any members of this forum who know a bit about refrigeration engineering and fundamentals who may be able to contribute their knowledge?

I need to overcome a couple of things inherent to a dehumidifier for this to work but I think its entirely feasible.

Views: 881

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Base for the project is a Delonghi Dehumidifier and the  Condensor /Evaporator units. 

Project - Temperature Controlled Fermenting Chamber

Design brief to my self.

Purpose: Maintain fermenting temps between 12 - 26 degrees  for various yeasts / brews.

1.Minimal but practical size to contain a plastic fermenter and air lock. (includiong cooling/heating units.)

2. Moveable / relocatable... and to fit bench height for convenience of filling, bottling, checking.

3. Easy access to keg lid and tap.

4. DIY challenge and keep cost to less than $200NZ. (apart from the temp controller, heat pad and dehumidifier)

I decided to build a chamber frame from light weight shelving  units ( cheap, available at Bunnings, meccano-like with heaps of nuts and bolts - didnt use the shelves at all) - $58

Panels - aluminium composite - 4mm. - $76

Perspex door panel - $18

Fan - 120mm AC - Surplustronics - $19

Hinges and door hardware $8

Electric cable and hard ware $23

Here is where I am up to -  PIX in random order - plenty more if anyones interested.

Interesting.... I can't help on whether the dehumidifier will work but I have to see how this works out.

Me too...

Works in theory and in my tests.

A couple more.

Pix showing the sliding tray system and also a component that confuse me a little . Its a thermo couple that mounts on the evaporator tubes.  Not sure of its purpose?

Great project Craig, be interesting to see how it works, look forward to your updates

Thanx

I now have it all together with fan installed  and door seals. Wiring is tidied (made safe andf neat) and I have earthed it all. (almost forgot to do that!!!). Access for the temp STC temp probe wire has been made and a power supply for the warm Pad is fitted inside.

Last step is to trick the cooler a bit by removing the humidity and ice sensors from the circuit and that will keep it running until the temp reaches cooling  target. ( It will never run for long in cooling bursts). It cools down pretty quick and its only  for keeping the liquid in equilibrium along with the warm pad.

May add a little light to finish it all.

Will post final pix in a  day or two.

Very cool.... I can see a mark II in your future for multiple fermenters

SO... pretty much done and dusted on this  now.

Last hurdle was heat dissipation from the heat evaporator and I did this with a big arse 12v fan that I had laying around from a puter case and some vent holes to allow the heat to escape  Once this was sorted...the cooling inside  the cabinet was able to achieve a stable  10 degrees easily.  Not likely to ever need it below 14

Pix show rear with fan; inside with circulating fan and heat pad power supply; door and cabinet.

A shroud fits on the inside fan and evaporator and some insulation is going on the internal walls and ceiling.

Where did you get the box to mount the STC?

Jaycar (Auckland) about $30 IIRC !  

Not cheap but solid and safety was the idea.  Be hard to mount plugs to a flimsy box.

Surplustronics have some slightly cheaper options that would have done

Sweet, been looking for a suitable one.

Currently just have mine taped to the lid of my keezer. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service