Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

i've read some of the "how to brew" site about adding salts/chalks to alter the mineral composition of the mash water.

HOW TO BREW goes on about chalk being used to "harden" the mash water. what does that mean, and does it mean that i can use it in most brews? or am o best to keep that to dark brews only? and if so, why? do i need to do it at all?

i also understand that in some cases, the extra mineral content (of certain compounds) accentuates the flavours of the beer. but if the PH of the water is neutral, and the mash PH is between 5.2 and 5.4, why use it at all?

also, which salts etc, modify the PH of the mash?

Views: 580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've recently started fiddling with the city water supply and created my own profile that I now adjust to. Rather than trying to replicate a water type at this early stage, I've looked at various authors guidelines for brewing water and set up a profile that targets close to the middle of the acceptable range of each component. Altering the water profile, mash and sparge combined with lactic acid additions have improved my beers way beyond expectations.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service