Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Morning, 

I've had a pilsner in the fermenter for a week and it seems as like the yeast has taken over (2 packs of US-05 in a 23L batch). The attached photo shows the current state of it. This is my first all grain brew and I'm wondering if this is normal? In my past brews, the yeast has cleared up considerably more than this by now. 

Any advice appreciated. Thanks! 

Views: 545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No secondary fermenter unfortunately! I'll add it to the list. 

I use 2 packs of yeast often enough when im hoping for a quick ferment, never seen it cause anything like this.

I have seen something like this in an infected batch but lets not get to worried just yet. Hopefully it is just krausen and drops. Those things are never the same twice.

Yeah, I'm hoping it isn't infected. I like to think that I sanitised well and was pretty careful throughout the brew. There was no change today so I am getting the feeling it is here to stay. It didn't taste off yesterday but that could be my limited uncarbonated experience. 

You should be safe enough then, that batch of mine got the infection through using some harvested yeast I think (not sure if it had the infection in it or was a result of underpitching), and off flavours were noticeable from at least week 2 (had a yeasty/plastic taste).

Now I always use a fresh packet (or two) unless I have kegged a batch the same day as I am brewing, which is when i will pitch directly onto the old cake (remove some of it if you do this, these fermentations get CRAZY).

Anyway I'm off topic (possibly was never on topic), happy brewing

Thanks. 

I'll try and cold crash it overnight and see if that makes a difference. As I haven't done this before, I assume that placing my fermenter in the fridge will suffice? I don't have gelatin - assume this is standard gelatin from the supermarket? 

I've always been weary of opening the fermenter too often for the reason given. 

I've just googled my gelatin question - no need to answer that. Cheers 

oh yeh that works fine, the brewing stuff is an absolute rip off

I've had the fermenter in the fridge for 2 days now and most of the yeast cakes have dropped, which is awesome. I've just added the gelatine and will leave in the fridge for another day or two before dry hopping for 3-4 days and then to the bottle. 

I bottle straight from the tap on my fermenter - will this pose any problems given that all the yeast has dropped? 

Thanks for your help everyone! 

Thanks - I should be fine then as I haven't had any problems in the past.Hopefully the trub isn't excessive. Here's hoping.  

Aargh! I've taken the fermenter out of the fridge and dry hopped for a day now. Some of the yeast cakes have returned to the top. Nothing like the initial photo I posted - I think I will try and bottle on Sunday and just see what happens. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service