Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys, as some of you know I use the BIAB method which fine but am looking at getting a separate mash tun and doing sparge. I have seen on here that many are looking for the "orange round cooler bin style" and they are very good on all counts but pretty pricey. Do you do the chilly bin (which has great insulating properties) method or go the stainless route all the way? and if you can show us photos too,

Cheers

Daza.

Views: 2639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice pic. I want the round mash tun as I think they may be easier to do bigger batched than the bag will allow, also easier to do a reticulated sparge with a false bottom too
I use the top half of a hot water cylinder. False bottom is stainless wash pipe. Works a treat. Super cheap. Copper insulated. Big batch stuff

I bought a new Stainless Steel 50L commercial grade(heavy bottom) pot, which I will be converting in to a mash tun. I have a question does anyone know where to source a good priced false bottom from the large 12" size my pot is 400mm diameter, I'll also need the ball valve and connecting tube that goes between inside of ball valve to false bottom what size or particular tubing do I need? I see most come with a 3/8" size elbow on top of false bottom.....is that adequate enough? I saw a YouTube video and the guy had a 1/2" on his......advice please. Just read a thread on using the 3/8" vs the 1/2" barb/elbow that comes with the false bottom and they all say that the 3/8" is good! cheers.

Have a look at what Brewtopia can do... even call them.

Vessel Parts

also yibrewing are good too.

What are you planning to insulate it with? Or are you going to use direct heat? My first mash tun was the faultless, 40L chilly bin from the warehouse with 1/2" ballvalve that fit perfectly in the factory bung (didn't have drill any holes in the bin whatsoever) then used the outer stainless braided sleeve on a tap hose, cut the ends off and removed the inner pipe, crimp one end over on itself and the hose clamp it on a barb fitting inside the bin and you're away ..... Most efficient Mash tun I have ever had.

Now I'm using a 50 keg fully insulated with false bottom and find myself still trying to reinvent a more efficient way of filtering the grain as the false bottom set ups can be challenging!
Attachments:

Hey Max, I intend to insulate the mash tun in the same manner as I have been doing my mashing with the BIAB method, my new 50L stainless mash tun arrived today very pleased with the pot. I still have to convert it, I am looking at the mash tun conversion kit from yibrewing for 90 bucks have a false bottom all connections and the 3 piece ball valve too. am hoping it is more efficient and better for sparging than the biab way....?

cheers mate.

bathtub 

As you know, all the gear and no idea, a good beer does not make.

But a little 'Brewvestment' here and there is always a good thing right?

I have been brewing with a 65L Chilly Bun for a few years now, clear wort, good heat retention and crystal clear beers have been the result.... alas the Chilly Bun now does not look the part alongside my new stainless brewing bling (new brew bench, HLT, 65L Chronical etc...) so I decided to build this....

I haven't laid down a brew in her yet, (thats the plan for this this week) but this 100L insulated and cedar clad Mash Tun now at least looks the part in the 'Brewery'

Yes it cost a bit in terms of hardware and time (manlove) but, I am sure going to enjoy the next BrewDay and the lads think that it doesn't look half bad.  

Will report back with temp/time loss curve later - alternate option is to include a HERMS system to maintain mash temp... but thats another project and more $$$.

Fingers crossed that my brewing doesn't regress from the days of the trusty Chilly Bun.

Very nice! Any pics of the inside set up?

The inside and lid are still a work in progress.  I'm going to see if I can get away without a fancy false bottom system by relying on my trusty 'stainless hose sleeve' that I was using in the Chilly Bin. If not, then I will make up a false bottom from perforated stainless and a few stainless bolts as feet (retaining the stainless hose sleeve underneath)  

As for sparging, I was looking at a rotating arm but doubt the utility & requirement for it so have gone with a floating silicon tube for now... again, trial and error from here on in. 

You can't beat the filtration of the stainless braided hose sleeve, I'm not sold on the false bottom as the sole source of filtration however I will try and see whether I can get a better efficiency in my next brew by restricting the pump flow more ..... Otherwise I will be attaching the braided sleeve to the dip tube.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service