Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I managed to get about 110 oz dried hops from 3 two year old plants. Seems pretty good yield to me.

I've dried and put 3oz each in ziplock bags and stuck in the freezer but would have to brew every fortnight and I would still not use all of them before next year's harvest.

Also, kind of restricts style choice to Belgian Ales, Pilsners and other German lagers, as the hops are from Puhoi so most likely Saaz (have heard some refer to as the "Auckland Hop").

So wondering if anyone has any other hops they'd like to trade? I want to get into English styles this year.

Cheers,

Steve

Views: 291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow nice size crop!
Would love to trade with you but my smoothcone has not produced a single cone. :o(

Bugger, first year perhaps? or just an unhappy plant.

2nd year and just not growing very big.
The other plant I got at the same time and gifted to a mate up in Marton is a monster like yours.

yeah mate ive got smooth cone from a nelson nursery plus an unknown variety that i got off trademe from a seller based in helensville. i grew cascade to but didnt produce too much and have used some i a stout last weekend.

i dried well and packed the hops tight into large glass jars, stored   in the freezer i am willing to trade for other hops or yeast strains perhaps washed and bottled?

let me know what you reckon, thanks

Sounds good to me, I could use cascade. I also have yeast, bohemian lager and Belgian leuven, keen to swaphops for hops and yeast for yeast or any combo. Let me know and well tee something up.

Always keen to swap for grain if anyone else interested.

Hi there

If you have spare seed or a rhizome coming up I would be keen to purchase or trade

cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

As it happens we're on the move again so I'll have to dig up the rhizomes so no worries to hack them up and share, I don't think our new place will be conducive for growing so I'll plant in pots to keep them alive until the next move.

Only thing is that I can't tell you what they are, I didn't mark them last time.

Let me know how you want to arrange, will be in about 4 weeks.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the quick reply, awesome to hear some rhizomes may be available. I am a bit of a hobby botanist and there is some good hop databases online so may have luck identifying the variety in due course.

Don't really have any related plants to trade at the moment due to the season, have heaps of veges and culinary herbs - and seed - if you were looking to start a garden. I could offer a sample of mead or something similar if it survives the post, or alternatively name a fair price and I will pay postage also.

I am a hobby winemaker/distiller moving into beer.

I am located just outside Hamilton. Let me know what you think.

cheers!

Jason

Jason,

Sorry, had a real stressful move (landlords!!!!) so forgot to dig them up, gutted, I have a few stringy bits that might be viable to start again with but if anyone ever got any of my plants from Brewer's Coop (couple of years back) and would be kind enough to throw me a message I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers,

Steve

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service