Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Seeing as the diy stuff is coming out of the woodwork at the moment I have just finished my mash recirc pump

after much research into different pump designs I settled on the Peristaltic design

a - because I could build it cheap enough

b- Its easy to clean

With 150mm dia working surface and 16mm bore and an approximate 45rpm its moving ~2.1L per minute at any head I attempted - (max was 2.4m)

Very much a work in progress but Im happy so far next test is recirculating hot mash!

Three things I learnt whilst making this-

1- Clean up your lathe before test driving your new pump with it - soft silicone tube and sharp metal swarf dont mix

2- Hardwood is not as stable as my beloved aluminum but much much cheaper

3- Pick a part are rouges unless you get the right person (actually I already knew that but it reminded me yet again)

Views: 2029

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

awesome,i'd like to hear more about how you did this!
Very nice!  Do you know what the total cost was?

You also managed to get the hops in picture too !

Looks like they've nearly made it as far as the deck ?

All the bearings and rollers are second hand car parts - ex pick a part

The hardwood was some offcuts from a heavy duty deck on a building site 

Cost of materials probably under $120 dollars excluding the motor g-box which I borrowed from a bead roller (another project) and hours of work to make it.

That bloody silicone hose is ~$40/m! Anyone know a cheaper place to buy? 19mm od 16mm id

The other bonus is its self priming so can be mounted above beside or below the tun.

The hops have made it to the deck jt 1 of them is climbing the balustrading wire and another 2 are about to!

What flow rate can you get out of this?

It shifts 2L/min at a fixed speed - pump is still going strong all these years later.

I can almost see my old house! Ahhh I miss the Bay

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service