Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok I'm going to embark on a GF beer this weekend that needs some dextrose to give it some oomph as my secret ingredient only has a potential SG of 1.017 so I need to up it or use more than I have to make a brew,

Now I chucked the numbers into beer smith and it looks like its going to be dry as with the recipe calling for 2 + KG of dextrose, approximately 50% of grain bill 

what FG has anyone experienced fermenting with that much Dextrose or should I try and use some unfermentable sugars to stop FG going to low?

Any ideas would be most appreciated

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got a 4 hour mash ahead of me, lucky the lawns and hedge need doing this weekend, might even have time to wash my hair the wife's hair and the dogs too boot,

I think the big achievement is making something that actually tastes like it should which to there credit the guys at Scott's have done, it's just the hop's they used which I am really not a fan of which meant I didn't like it,

will report back on how I got on as to whether I made beer or a shandy

Interested to hear how this is going.

I have been mulling over making a ginger beer using rice malt as the base. Anyone done this?

I got busy getting brewing withdrawals, went to just about every Asian grocer and no luck but found it at Liberty Market $11 per 500g jar so going to use 1kg of it and see how it goes apparently tastes like golden syrup,

need to find a cheaper supplier I think though as I intend in using it a fair bit

I think Piko wholefoods sell it in bulk. They are over on Stanmore road. Take your own container along to fill up. Pay by the kg type thing. From what I have been reading different manufacturers may have different levels of maltose/maltotriose depending on their process... which will affect how fermentable it is. If doing tests I would not assume that rice malt from one supplier will act like rice malt from another.

Also apparently you need to check that it is gluten free. The process of making the rice malt needs enzymes which you can get from sprouted rice... but some manufacturers use enzymes from sprouted grains that contain gluten. 

I have the Chantal Organics stuff which claims it's GF but I have just flicked them an email as it does state it uses cereal enzymes to break down the starch,

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service