Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi all,

Though I would post my pressure sprayer based beer line cleaner I just built as a reference for anyone else wanting to build one. This way I can clean out my beer lines without needing a spare corny keg, and also saves a bit of gas. I figure the easier the process is the more likely I am to actually do it.

The gist is the same as the US version at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/ but using parts available in NZ.

The only real difficult part was finding something to fit the funny thread size on the beer out post, even the Americans seem to have had issues with the 19/32" thread. After a bit of hunting around I found a 9/16" JIC adapter at HCD which threaded in fine but was ~1mm too small. Fortunately for our purposes this can be solved with a whole bunch of thread tape.

Parts list:

• Regular cornelius beer out post. (~$13)
  • Poppet thingee (required to open the valve on the quick disconnect)
  • 9/16 JIC to BSPT adapter (bought at HCD, $5.25 + GST). Brass will be slightly cheaper if they have any in stock.
  • BSPT to 5/16" hose flair connector (also from HCD, $4.31)
  • 4 litre Buy Right pressure sprayer. (~$10)
  • Thread tape.

Assembly is fairly easy. Keep adding thread tape to the JIC end until it fits the beer out post nicely. The hose on the pressure sprayer should fit nicely onto the flared connection. I found I didn't need a hose clamp to keep it connected. Pump up the pressure sprayer and check for leaks.

I'm probably going to replace the black rubber hose that came with the pressure sprayer with something more food grade but will see how it goes. Don't forget to give the pressure sprayer a really good clean before you use it.

Apologies for not removing the thread tape for the photo. Too cheap to reapply it :-).

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Brett.

Views: 1093

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The JIC to BSPT adatpor looks like this under the thread tape:

That is a great idea. Gonna have to give that a go.

Have now replaced the rubber hose that came with the sprayer with some 6mm hose I had spare. Would recommend doing this since the rubber had quite a strong smell to it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service