Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So, one of the girls in the office today overheard me talking about brewing, and after asking if I brewed my own she said "Are you interested in fresh hops?, we have a couple plants growing at our place, and they are covered in them"

Well, of course I said yes,...but I have done all my brewing with pellet hops, so don't quite know where to begin with the real thing. And the other issue is she has no idea what variety they would be, as they were at the house when she bought it.

So, any idea firstly what they would most likely be (house is in New Plymouth), and secondly, what would be a good brew to do to use these in - and how much should I use (generically, no idea what the AA level is in them). I would was thinking a SMaSH type Pilsner perhaps to at least show off the hops and get an idea as to what they are. And lastly, how do I store them. In the freezer??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice offfer from your workmate. 

Post a pic of the flowers up and someone here could help you identify the variety - not sure but they might be a bit past it this year - its pretty late in the season.

Here's a wet hop thread that might be useful.

First mild bitter using only smoothcone fresh/wet hops put down last weekend.  Used about 150g to bitter and about same 10min to finish for taste/aroma.  Will post thoughts in a few weeks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service