Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

See this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/green-flash-le-freak-clone-308487/

It seems when Green Flash do their Belgian IPa, they pitch belgian yeast, and then 24 hours after it takes off they pitch a clean ale yeast.

They generally use WLP 001 as their house strain, and I'mnot sure wha the belgian yeast is... further down in the comments of the link someone mentions 550, so it could be that.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this is?

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought it would be like Stone's Cali-Belgique and would have 570 but either should get close.

Would like to know re: why the US ale yeast also. Maybe it helps with the hoppy IIPA side of things and brings through those characteristics. Just speculating though.

I love Le Freak! MMmmmmMMMmmm

Your thinking the Us Yeast is there for the hops?

I can only think of that reason as well... I've asked the question on the thread, so we'll see.

I'm not making thebeer, I was just searching around and stumbled across it, I might make it one day though, never had the beer myself...yet. sounds like I might have to.

Heres a response I got, seems Believeable. 

you want a combination of the two yeast flavors and the other is that this is a high gravity beer and the second addition helps fermentation.

Oh sweet. Thanks for the update. If it is 001 and 550 or 570 do you need to make a starter for each? Or just the first one?

I am not up with the play and underpitched the only time I tried liquid in a stout. Didn't get down as far as it should and was a pretty sweet stout.

Oh ok, in particular with belgians, It seems the 001 yeast is merely to help with attenuation, and I'd have a guess a small 1-1.5litre starter would probably be fin after the 24hour period.

a normal sized starter for the belgian yeast I'd say would be a good size one, based on Mr Malty.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service