Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey all

A few mates and I just finished our first partial mash brew, wondering if anyone out there has any good recipes to follow on with?
We're keen to make a wheat beer, also a porter and a sessionable bitter....

Views: 755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a fairly simple grist I use for several wheat beers; varying only the hops and yeast.  Basically 1kg each of wheat malt and pilsner malt, 0.5kg torrified wheat, and 1.5kg wheat malt extract (which itself is 50% wheat 50% barley).  Not as pale as some wheat beers, but if you add the extract late in the boil, that should help.  This is easy to do with the 'brew in the bag' method.  Do the mash at 67-68C, and include a protein rest first, if you can be bothered, at 55C.

For a NZ wheat beer I use 25g Pacifica (60min) and 25g Nelson Sauvin (5min), and use Danstar Munich wheat yeast (which doesn't add any German style esters for me).  For a Weizen stick to German hop varieties like Hallertauer, and find a good German wheat yeast (I recovered one from 3Boys Witbier).  For a Witbier I use 20g Hallertauer each at 60 and 5 min, and 20g coriander seed (crushed) and 30g orange zest (both boiled with the 5 min hop addition).

There are hundreds of recipes online.  Even just searching this forum should turn up a few winners.  Good luck.

We made a nice beer for a mate of mine - his first brew.  

2x cans of Briess Pilsner malt

400g Munich grain

100g wheat

Czech Saaz hops (cant remember the measurements of hops but just a mild hopping)

Farmhouse saison yeast (20-22 degree fermentation)

Brought 5 litres of watre upto 70 degrees and pitched in the grain (in a bag) and washed it around to make sure it was all wetted then left to steep for 20 minutes.  Gave it another good wash without squeezing and discarded.  Brought the wort up to boiling and pitched in the hops over an hour (less than 100g in 3 steps something along the lines of 15g, 20g and 65g).

Poured this through a cleaned sieve into the fermentor, added the cans of malt and topped up with cold water to the required gravity.  Shook it to boost the oxygen levels for the yeast and pitched a good litre starter.

Not quite the Leffe Blonde we were aiming for but it is an awesome beer all the same.  He stopped buying Leffe so it did its job.

I did one a wee while ago, entered in the NHC 2012 got 27/50 and they said if the hops were fresher I'd have a medal on my mantle piece. iots sort of a partial mash for a darker pale ale, on the verge of amber...

3kg black rock liquid LME

0.4kg medium crystal

0.5kg caramalt

0.2kg carapils

14g NZ Cascade @ 60 & @30

28g @ 10

28g @ Flameout

15 days ferment

Dryhop 43g 15 days

57g dryhop 10 days

57g dryhop 5 days

it ends a bit sweeter at around 1.016 ish,

i used 2 packets of US-05

ferment at 19 degrees, and end at 22 after 15 days. Just fifnished my last one of it. for a nice brew over the new year.

I'll be making this again using different hop combinations.

It was a partial boil and did the grains at 69 degrees.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service