Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Craftbrewer have the acid, or use acid malt. 6row - dunno, maybe a non-peated distilling malt? I imagine it was being used for the enzyme content. The brewers inverts are pretty much different grades of caramel, yeah it's made from raw sugar. This is how you make them.

Careful, that Barclay Perkins site will swallow time.

You're not wrong on the time-wasting there...

I'm after the lactic acid for the sugar inversion process as described in that link you gave, so I don't think acidulated malt is what I want - unless there is some trick with it?. 

And according to the posts I read, the 6-row apparently adds a distinct husky/grainy taste that is associated with the AK and lower gravity session beers they are describing - and yes, there was a suggestion that distilling malt was a good sub.

After further googling, it appears that invert sugar doesn't have to be made with lactic acid:

From Wikipedia:

"Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding roughly one gram of citric acid or ascorbic acid per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) or fresh lemon juice (10 milliliters per kilogram) may also be used.

The mixture is boiled for 20 minutes to get to a temperature of 114°C,[3] and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar."

Yeah I've made it with citric, no worries.

I got lactic acid, and a measuring syringe straight from my local pharmacy.

Nice Stu, I haven't tried a pharmacy yet 

Doing an IPA tomorrow

GP 54%

Munich1 23%

Vienna 23%

NS ,Riwaka , Simcoe & BB  60 IBU

OG 1070 ish

US 05

Just finished up on this, ran out of warrior and too late to get to the brew shop so thought I would subsitute with a hop I am growing that was about the same Alfa levels, that way if it works when there are cones ready in the pot they go, tasted wort and very pink grapfruit tasting so should be interesting

5.400 kg GladField Pale Ale (5.5 SRM) Grain 1 93.3 %
0.340 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
0.050 kg Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 0.9 %
28.000 g Sticklebract [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 38.0 IBUs
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 5 -
114.000 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 6 12.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 7 -
114.000 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
Mashed in a Summer Malt Tonic.
Pale Crystal, Pale Chocolate, Brown and Black. Goldings to bitter and a smidge of Cascade and Motueka at 10.
1034 with 18 IBU and Thames Valley II
Looking for a nice quaffer for Christmas week
Turned out a treat. Finished a bit higher than planned, not a lot of bitterness. The late hops only just noticable. Gassed up a bit. Guess its a dark, tasty NZ Draught. Good for a day in the sun.

Also knocking out a summer quaffer today:

1.041 OG

76% Gladfields Pale

12% Munich 20L

5% Caramalt 

5% Carapils

2% Crystal 120

12g Pac Jade @ 60

30g Styrians @ 20

15g Wa-iti @ 15

30g Styrians @ 1

15g Wai-iti @ 1

36IBU

Nottingham yeast

Dry hop with more Styrians & Wai-iti, amounts to be determined.

Good to see someone else is expecting to get a summer :-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service