Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi,

I'm after a double Co2 regulator (3 gauges). So far I've got 2 corny kegs, and a double regulator is the only part I'm having trouble finding. 

I spotted a Dorado regulator on trademe but from what I've seen on the net they are low to medium quality and some people have had problems with them.

The Brew House is getting some in which would be my preference however they reckon it will be a month before they arrive and I don't want to wait that much longer.

Does anyone know where to get reliable / quality double regulators from, or should I try joining to normal regulators together somehow?

Cheers

Views: 1830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sam, try Ultraflow in Tauranga, they have the TOF brand from Italy.

Good gear.

Hugh

Bingo! http://www.brewshop.co.nz/double-co2-regulator.html just added couple days ago I think :)

Cheers for the help Hugh and kelly

I Couldn't find much info on Tof regulators and the Brew-Shop have the same Dorado regulator I wasn't sure about. Decided on buying a single dual gauge regulator from the LHBS the Brew-House to last for a month or so, and then when the parts come in I'll attach another regulator onto it to make a double one

Hi Sam,

How did you get on in the end, I'm going through the exact same thing as you in regards to finding a decent quality dual pressure CO2 regulator in NZ! Have just fired off emails to Ultraflow and Lancer to see what they have.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Would have got back to you sooner but been away all week

I couldn't find a good quality dual pressure regulator I was sure of so ended up getting the cheaper option single pressure one from the brewhouse so I could get started (might not be good quality but its does the job fine so far).

I got it with the intention of getting a second one and joining them together later, although he hasn't managed to get the parts in to do this yet (shipping issues). (He now has dual pressure regulators too, probably fine but don't think their high quality either)

Now I've got more than one keg on I'm considering trying to source parts to join two of them together, or trying to find a high quality dual pressure regulator, so will be interested to see if you find anything

Cheers Sam,

I too was about to give up and just grab a single from Brewhouse after spending hours trying to find them either in NZ or Aus (or worst case from the US with the parts changed to fit the NZ bottles), but Mark Hooper from Hoshizaki Lancer came back to me and they sell Micromatics. He said they were able to do the dual pressure regs for $220 + gst and $8 shipping. I placed the order on Thursday and the package arrived on Friday!

Unfortunately it must have been dropped because when I opened it the first pressure guage was broken and bent! The packaging was pretty poor too, a reg and a few john guest fittings loosely wrapped in one sheet of bubble wrap in a large box where it can slide around. I'll talk to Mark tomorrow, but hopefully their shipping is covered and they'll sort this out.

Also, when it arrived, they had joined a secondary micromatic reg onto the primary with quite a long adapter, so the reg is quite long, I'm worried that it wont allow a co2 bottle to stand upright when attached unless there's somethign to strap the bottle in place. See photo: (photo upload doesn't seem to work). Again, I'll discuss with Mark tomorrow.

Assuming they sort these issues out then it looks like HL is the place to go to get Micromatic in NZ (well, it's the only one I could find!!).

Another option is to stay with the single high pressure primary reg and set up a secondary manifold system. 

This type of set up can give you flexibility and the option to add more gas lines or regs in the future. 

Heres a pic of the parts I'll use to put my full system together once I get my fridge sorted.  

The left most inlet receives a line from my primary reg which will be set to a higher pressure (say 30psi used for flushing and force carbing etc), the next 2 lines I'll set to 'high serve pressure' for wheats/belgians etc, the last 2 on the right will be set for ale pressures.  Each line connected to a keg has a non return valve to protect the regulator and can be isolated from the system with the ball valve.

All in all the set up includes 4 x NRVs, 4 x ball valves, 6 x 8mm John Guest type push fit outlets  and 2 x 0-30psi secondary regs for about $150. 

I got most of it from Mac Valves, 20 Alfred St, Onehunga Auckland.  Ph 09 634 9401.  They were really helpful and pieced it all together when I told them what I was looking for. 

Its a bit bulky but will fit fine mounted on the side wall of my keg fridge.

Nice Tilt, that looks like a pretty good setup. I've talked to Mike at HL and he is sending down a new guage which should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to go for a similar setup to you, gas bottle outside the keg (no regulator), with a lead which will connect to the regulators mounted inside the freezer. Each will have a John Guest non return valve, then a two way splitter so I can have four outputs. With the JG fittings I can swap things around in seconds to have either two kegs off each pressure, or one keg at one pressure, and three at the other.

All in all, I'm really happy with Hoshizaki Lancer, Mark has been very helpful, and very prompt! If you're looking for a good regulator, I'd recommend them.

Hi Adam, hows your Micromatic regulator going? Would be cool to see some pics of it / how its set up. With no regulator at the co2 bottle and a hose joining the the co2 bottle to the regulator, do you think its dangerous / risky at all having the hose under that much pressure? I'm tempted to do the same thing

Hey Sam, it's going great. I've yet to mount it to the side of the freezer (just sitting on the bottom at the moment but I will do at some stage). The hose from the gas bottle to the reg was designed for that purpose so I'm confident it's ok. Mark from HL recommended it and it's perfect. At this stage the gas bottle is in the freezer but when I get a third keg (and need the space) and put a collar on the freezer I'll move it outside.

Hopefully the pic gives you a good idea of what's going on. The pic was taken before I had the second keg, so it doesn't have any of the JG splitters, but I can post a photo of that too if you want.

Hey Adam, just discovered a few days after posting the question that the brew-house got regulator joiners and being a much cheaper option making use of the reg I already had I thought I'd try it. Unfortunately the thread on the adaptor rotates the wrong way though, they got it to work apparently but rotating the wrong way it munches the thread and goes in at an angle (metal shavings etc) so back to looking at the high quality ones.

Photos good thanks, the joiner / adaptor does look really long, maybe just 2 singles put together with what was available, the joiner in the photo below would be more ideal if he can get them

How much did the gas bottle to reg hose cost? New photo with the second would be interesting if its not to much of a hassle

Cheers

Hey Sam, gas lead was $28 (ex gst). I believe it's called an "Ezifit CO2 Lead Assembly".

I haven't actually used my splitters yet as with the two kegs I've got one on each reg. Here is the photo of what I mean though:

I do suspect that HL just joined two singles together, however for the cost and simplicity of not having to ship it over from the US I'm happy for the longer adapter. Wont make a difference when it's mounted.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service