Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Top notch English Yeast for a Premium Bitter/ ESB

Does anyone have suggestions for a primo English yeast for a premium bitter.  I'm working up a memorial beer to give cousins who lost their Dad a year ago.  The beer will be in the ESB realm - a rich, copper coloured bitter with complex dry toasty biscuit maltiness, bitter marmaladish flavours and a crisp lingering finish.  Taste wise I'm thinking something like bittersweet Seville orange marmalade on fresh home baked wholemeal toast.  I'd also like it to stand up to a bit of bottle ageing.

Tossing up recipe ideas I've setttled somewhere near the one below but I'm up in the air about the yeast.  I'd prefer to use a liquid strain but not WY1968/ Fullers as its too fruity for my liking, and WY1318 leaves to much residual sweetness. 

My thoughts so far are WY1275 or WY1335 but it'd be great to hear from anyone else who knows about these things or can offer advice on the recipe. 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.060  FG: 1015   ABV: 5.9%
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.5 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
4.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter  87.3 %
0.40 kg Medium Crystal Malt      7.3 %
0.20 kg Victory Malt                   3.6 %

0.10 kg Pale Chocolate Malt       1.8 %

60min        20.00 gm Pacific Jade  (FWH)  (42.9 IBU)
15min        20.00 gm Styrian Goldings  (3.8 IBU) +  8.00 gm Motueka (2.0 IBU)
0min          24.00 gm Styrian Goldings + 8.00 gm Motueka 

Dry Hop     20.00 gm Styrian Goldings

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Victory malt is awesome. I used it or Special Roast in a lot of my brews in the States. Preferred them both to Biscuit. Biscuit is more bready than toasty -- named after American biscuits not our ones!

Special Roast is the "secret ingredient" in our Punkin Image Ltd. Pumpkin Ale. It adds a real "sourdough" note. Use sparingly! ;)

Where do you get it from? I've used it as up to 7% in pale ales successfully. Never found it especially sour but then again I love sour beers so maybe it passed by unnoticed. I'd love to get hold of some in time for porter season next year, as well as some victory. 

Joseph hooked us up. Also, note the difference between sour and sourdough. :) It's not sour, more bready with a faintly lactic/yoghurty tinge. Very subtle but delicious.

They've got Victory and Special Roast in at Brewers Coop. I chewed on some though, and they didn't seem that fresh. They had crystal 10 too.

Excellent - I'm looking forward to using the Victory in that case. 

As it turns out  I've got hold of both 1275 and 1469 so will brew a 30L batch and split it across the two to compare.   I'll try and remember to post the results.   Thanks for the advice.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service