Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

As always, we start off with a huge thanks to Hallertau for allowing us to invade, yet remain such wonderful hosts. The winner of the last style Rauchbier, was Greig. This is the second consecutive win for Greig - very impressive!

Now the next competition will be on Saturday, 24th November***.UPDATE: Change to date due to holiday bookings - now on 01 December at 2PM*** The style is 7C in the BJCP guide: Dusseldorf Altbier. The overall description of this style is: A well balanced, bitter yet malty, clean, smooth, well-attenuated amber coloured German ale.

I will ask for volunteers to judge now. If you do not plan to brew for this competition, and you are interested in judging, please let me know.  Also, to assist me in having enough judging sheets, please let me know if you plan to enter.

See you all soon. Happy brewing.

Style link here: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style07.php

Views: 1178

Replies to This Discussion

Haha no it would have been too dark Kelly but I did tweak it a litte. The dry roast had that bit of burnt toast flavour that I thought would be close to roast and out of style. Last time I ran short of that anyway and subbed carared, so I did that again with some melanoidin for good measure. Halved the caraaroma and chocolate. I couldn't resist having a taste just now and I think it is going to be okay if it drys out a bit more :-) I think I have got my ABV and SRM in the right range, which was a bit stressfull tackling that first time. IBU perhaps at the strong end, but wanted to enjoy drinking it as well.

Barbara, I too will throw my brewing hat in for the competition, look forwards to meeting everyone on the day.

Okay, here's the deal: I was at Hallertau this afternoon for the Hop & Chili festival and they don't have room for us on the 24th with the holidays and all. They do have room on the 1st December from 2-5. I hope this works for everyone. Sorry for the change. If you have brewed an entry but can not attend, please contact me and we will see if someone can bring your entry for you. 

Also, be sure to let me know if you have an entry and if you are attending. I can let Hallertau know how many to expect.

See you all there!

Barbara

Tricky, will shuffle commitments and still be there with a beer.

And I just cooked my keg this evening over a delicious BBQ dinner, so no entry from me.. ;P still need me to judge?!

Kelly, you picked the style and you are not even going to enter?! Steve is lined up to judge. Forgive me, everyone, if you said you would judge. But I can not remember, now who had volunteered besides Steve. So if you are still keen, let me know. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I know right.. ;P Entered it in NHC though. Still keen as to judge, I love me some Altbier

Thanks for sorting that all out Barbara.  Looks like I can still make it with my first WBC entry.  Looking forward to it.

Bugger I will be in Wellington and having just cracked one to try it out have found the carbonation is very low, so it is probably not worth entering anyway. Not sure what happened there, whether my bottling sugar calc was out or the lagering left too little yeast.

Just checked my schedule planner (wife). Dec 1st looks fine with me. I think it's time someone toppled Greig from his lofty heights :)

That's the spirit! ;) It shouldn't be too hard. I'm liking mine, but I think it's slightly too dark for style and the bitterness isn't quite as high as expected. Not a winner unless all the others are worse. ;)

haha - I don't think it's as bad as that - you down played your Rauchbier and look what happened there :) I'm gonna talk mine up and hopefully  scare off the competition!! (insert evil laugh for effect).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service