Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys,

anyone had experience with Waimea hops? I know they're in the Epic Beer.

Was thinking of doing a smash with them to see what they do. Thoughts?

Views: 2684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you just want to see what they do then I would just go buy a bottle of Epic's "First Batch".  I'm pretty sure that's a single hop beer though probably not a SMASH beer.

Cheers JR, Was interested to see what people thought of them really, in the homebrew style.

I've heard they're quite an intense citrus?

My only experience with them is the Epic First Batch.  I didn't love them by themselves but I think they could be used to good effect in conjunction with other hops. In my opinion I thought I got more pine than citris.

Any Recommendations for otherhops in conjunction?

I'm not really that qualified to be giving advice so if anyone has any better ideas they should chime in..

I was planning on experimenting with a few different hop combos starting with 50/50 NZ Cascade / Waimea

In my imagination that would make it more like US Cascade.  The reality might be quite different though.

Others I might try, Riwaka, Motueka

Good luck trying to get your hands on some Riwaka :-)

Not to brag but..got some in the freezer!

Ok, so this is the information on brewshop.co.nz

"Waimea is a new hop variety that has both aroma and bittering capability, and is the granddaughter of Pacific Jade. It has been described as having intense fresh tangelo, citrus fruit and pine needle characteristics, with little indication given that this ia a big alpha type hop.

Waimea has a new world flavour, selected originally for it's alpha content and quality bitterness but now for its genuine dual purpose capability in delivering of unique fresh crushed citrus aroma and flavour notes. It can be used across a wide array of styles in a variety of brewhouse and dry hopping applications in IPA's or big Imperial style Lagers."

S I'm doing an IPA SMaSH, what malt would people recommend? Just yeasting with US-05 i think, 5-6kg of one malt and a hops schedule of:

40g @ 60

20g @ 15

30g @ 5

40g @ FO

40g @ Dryhop 7 days

How did this turn out, I have been drawn Waimea for a local brew demo, where we must brew with only the one hop at Marchfest. should be an interesting day.

Hey, I actually never got around to brewing this one. So much on the brew schedule.

From what I've been told its a great hop to use.

The original plan was to do a munich smash with this hop.

Hey Evan, I drew the Waimea too, never tried it before but sounds like it's an interesting hops. Seriously high alpha 17.2! I'm thinking of doing an IPA with Belgian yeast as a bit of an experiment. Another experiment I'm thinking of trying is no hops earlier than the 10min addition - with the high alpha will be able to get all the bittering at 10mins.

Yeah Aidan I am intending to do a late bittering at 30 mins and probably a 15g addition at that and then boom goes the waimea at the last two additions. I am sticking to my SMaSH idea, but with a secret ingredient. Will be calling it Sherman the Sequioa. Will chat about it at beer club at mine on the !st of March

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service