Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

If you find that your beer has some flavour faults it may well be some mistake made during the brewing process. Or it may be many little things which all add up to producing a beer that's not quite right.

Many homebrewers tell me that they have problems with temperature control. Although that is quite important it usually does not lead to flavour taints unless you are brewing on a really hot or really cold day. But we can negate the effects of temperature somewhat with good insulation and placement in a temperature controlled fridge etc.

But there are problems which can occur occasionally which, are not always visible to the brewer, and will lead to bad flavour in beer.

Even microbrewers have been known to fall in the same traps. You may have drank beer fresh from a craft brewery only to find that the flavour is tottally different when purchased in a bottle from your local bottle shop. Why is this so?

I have written a report on the 3 most common mistakes made by brewers and if you are looking for some answers to this question then feel free to request a free copy. If you visit this site you can request a copy.

I'd like to hear of peoples experience in this all important area and some solutions you have found work for you.

Cheers,

Vince

Views: 1236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man it'd be really cool if you could just post that information here...

Yeah, why does this feel like a thinly disguised phishing scam to me? 

If you're advertising your services Vince did you see the details at the top of the page above the main banner?

Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

Otherwise the spirit of the community here is generally freely shared experiences and information amongst like minded brewers. 

In that spirit, and without looking up the article because I suspect I'll need to pass on my email address or other details to access it, I've found recent attention to mash and sparge pH has reaped rewards in flavour.

Totally, we've got an awesome sharing community here.

What are you using for a pH meter bro? My strips are useless :(

I've been using strips too, which aren't that accurate or precise, but I've figured the turbidity and 'muddled' flavour I've been getting for a while has been due to soft and alkaline water.  

From what I've read and found talking to people is that to get a half reasonable pH meter you'd have to spend more than I wanted to (takes away from other brewing toys and ingredients!) and the upkeep and replacement parts sounds a pain so I haven't bothered.

Instead I've gone with the age old emprical approach and used trial and error on my reasonably consistent Pale Ale grist.  Gradual small increases in mash CaSO4 and CaCl and then Citric in the sparge water over the course of 3 brews has cleared up the beers and gave more pop to the hops.

18th century methods but have done the trick.

Slight hijack of thread, but relative to this pH talk...

Is this anygood to measure the pH of mash and strike water??? http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/fish/aquatic-plants/auction-5...

Cheers!!

Hi Mark,

for $20 the pH meter seems to be in the realm of a toy, so cannot comment on its accuracy. The other thing I have a problem with is that there is only one calibration point when any good meter has always 2 calibration points, the reason being that it takes 2 points to draw a line through.

If you want to try it all you have to lose id 20 bucks. But it would be interesting to compare it to a proper pH meter.

cheers vince...im on a pretty small scale brewing and small budget, but have always been curious about the pH of my water and mash...might give it a go. Wheres the best place to get the brewing chemicals to adjust pH etc?

Depending on where you are try the local brew shop that deals in grain brewing. They have various forms of calcium salts to enable pH adjustments.

Cheers.

I have seen people ask about those pH meters on other homebrew forums, from what I read everyone seemed happy with what they got for the price. What Vince said is probably right on the money, "any good meter has always 2 calibration points." I would never call a $20 meter a good meter but I would say you will be better off than using test strips (which from what I have seen are about that or more for a pack anyway!)

And Vince, is there 2 versions of your report (homebrewer vs commercial)? Any chance I could get the commercial one if there is one, just like reading all there is on brewing!

hi Matt,

yes, you're right about the pH meters.

There are 2 reports which differ slightly but significantly. Just select microbrewer and you have the commercial one.

I am sharing information. The report is several pages long and you can access it if you want.

As for pH Meter I use a Hanna pHep meter.

Using pH strips is very crude and also relies on colour matching. So they are not only inaccurate but subjective.

In return you're asking for peoples'

Name,

Email address,

Location and

Brewer type 

......all very useful information for marketing your business. 

I wouldn't call this a free exchange thats consistent with the general communication here.  

However - how important do you think a pH meter is and is poor management of this issue one of your top three mistakes?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service