Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I need help on my water calculations , just tried my first all grain , Waited 4 weeks after keeging , OG and FG was perfect , but it taste like weak watery beer , soo sad Im thinking I mashed with too much water , is there a rule of thumb for grain to water ratio , i also maintained my tun temp perfect for 60 mins, from memory it was a 6.5 kg grain bill and I mashed with 35 l and sparged with 10l . Don't want to make this mistake again. I'm so pi...ed

Views: 269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Steve. What were your OG and FG readings? These will help alot for offering advice. Your water to grain ratio does sound a little high. Common ratio's tend to be somewhere between 2.5L per kg and 3.5L per kg. I usually use around 2.8:1. Having a slightly lower ratio frees up more water for sparging, which usually gives a better efficiency as more sugars are rinsed out with the larger sparge volume. There are also other factors that could have played a part, such as your grain bill, your final gravity etc

It was a pilsner OG 1047 FG 1015 being my first time tunmaintained 57c aiming for 61c , grain bill 4 kg

That would be your problem. 57 is a very low mash temperature, barely warm enough for Beta Amylase to work. The normal mash target it 65-67, but you'll still get good results at temperatures slightly outside that range. 'Watery' is generally a problem associated with lower mash temperatures.

Check out the All Grain section of How to Brew for a detailed explanation of mash temperatures.

Alec

I'm running a rims system , sparge head in tun , could you run me through a step by step process you would have used for the 4 kg grain bill pilsner?

That link Hutch provided is a must read and it walks you through what's happening to your mash at each temperature range, grain-water ratio's and pretty much everything you need to know about mashing. Reading that is your best bet. If your using a single infusion mash then there is no difference in mashing a pilsner from an ale or any style really, apart from varying mash temperatures to manipulate yeast attenuation.

Like Hutch said, your mash temp is a little too far out of the range for full conversion. For a highly fermentable wort, the lowest I would personally go is 64c

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service