Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anyone know anything about Kohatu and Wai-iti hops being advertised on craftbrewer? They look intriguing and there isn't anything about them on NZ hops site.

Views: 3365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Done a couple of brews with Wai-iti (2.9%), taste + aroma. Destroyed the 1st keg in record time, so I guess it was good.

Excellent write up Bart - thanks for that.  I got some piney, resinous aromas from the Kohatu pellets so its interesting that this has translated into earthy English style flavours...and sweaty pineapple pants.... not sure what to do with that one Richard... other than try it out to see if I can get the same!!

Wai - iti on the other hand sounds like it'll need some spiciness (Mot/NZ cascade?) to keep it grounded. 

Only way to satisfy the curiousity is to try them out.  I've got some WY1318 burning a hole in my pocket - might have to try an NZ Kohatu OB.  Cheers 

have you already got some Wai-iti? it's getting pretty hard to come by.

A wee bit to run a pilot brew or two. 

Tilt, there is definitely a slight pineyness to the Kohatu, but more subtle than say, Hallertauer. But personally I still consider the pineyness to be in that 'noble hop' vein as opposed to the 'new world' hop styles which are more fruity/citrusy.

Thats good to know - I'll look to make the most of that in my Kohatu recipe.  Thanks.

Im enjoying Kohatu.... I have a pale ale that's single hopped to about 40IBU with it, and about 100 grams dry hopped for a week. Very nice hop indeed, I havent got a lot of experience with the noble hops, but I personally find kohatu like a mix of US cascade and Motueka (maybe a hint of Sauvin), or at least it tastes very similar to a brew where Ive used those hops exclusively.

Its not as feisty as the other NZ hops Ive tried, and I think it lends itself well to heavy dosage!

Me too. Quite enjoyed a combo of 50/50 NZ cascade and Kohatu blend in a PKB clone. I got marmelade.

Looks like Brewshop has some Wai-iti in stock if you wana give them a try :) http://www.brewshop.co.nz/hops/wai-iti-hops.html

Try thatbeerplace.com - Bill lives in Nelson and is really awesome guy who always wants to meet people

The Brew House in Welly still has Kohatu hops available. Bought mine yesterday to try in a pale ale.

http://www.thebrewhouse.co.nz/webapps/p/88908/215726/614778

Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service