Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Congrats to my brother from another mother - Hamish for taking the Monks Habbit honors - good shit bro: wish I could have been there for a taste: I love Monks.

Thanks again to Hallertau for hosting us bunch of wannabes - it's Oh so great to be able to enjoy the finest brewbar in Auckland whilst getting our beer geek on.

Paul Vester finds himself in the top 3, and has chosen Kiwi Pale Ale as the defining category for our next meet up. I put a bit of research in, and as it turns out the other WBC (World Beer Cup) has a category for this beer type thanks from the Brewers Association... Who needs BJCP aye? Seeing how there is actually a style to brew to - AND I can safely assume that this will attract a GREAT many entries, the judging will be fairly strict this time. So here goes:

OTHER ORIGIN

INTERNATIONAL STYLES

The Brewers Association recognizes that there is a proliferation of creativity by innovative brewers throughout the world. Specific hop characters define the signature qualities of many traditional styles of ales and lagers. Many brewers choose to maintain the overall beer character of a particular style, but use new hop types, resulting in “traditional” styles of beer, which have unique hop character. While many brewers strive to maintain the traditions of certain brewing styles, other brewers seek to reflect the uniqueness of their own beer culture and local produced ingredients. The Brewers Association maintains that” one uniquely brewed beer does not a style create.” Competition organizers who reflect on their own unique circumstances may choose to break out non-traditional varieties of ales or lagers into their own categories, or combine traditional and non-traditional examples as subcategories or larger categories.The styles we will choose to feature in this section of the guidelines reflect the establishment of what we feel has become a style of beer in various world beer markets, thus establishing and recognizing it as a “style” of beer brewed by many breweries perhaps in a particular area. For example, “International Pale Ale” might be designated “New Zealand Pale Ale” if this pale ale is brewed with and possesses the unique character of New Zealand hops, Likewise a “German Pale Ale” could be brewed or dry hopped with German varieties of hops. A French Pale Ale with unique French hops. The same may eventually be true of the “India Pale Ale styles.”

International-Style Pale Ale

International-style pale ales range from deep golden to copper in color. The style is characterized by wide range of hop characters unlike fruity, floral and citrus-like American-variety hop character and unlike earthy, herbal English-variety hop character. Moderate to high hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma is evident. International pale ales have medium body and low to medium maltiness. Low caramel character is allowable. Fruity-ester flavor and aroma should be moderate to strong. Diacetyl should be absent or present at very low levels. Chill haze is allowable at cold temperatures.

Original Gravity (ºPlato)

1.044-1.050 (11-12.5 ºPlato) Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.008-1.014 (2-3.5 ºPlato) Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5-4.3% (4.5-5.5%) Bitterness (IBU) 30-42 Color SRM (EBC) 6-14 (12-28 EBC) 

Views: 1080

Replies to This Discussion

He totally would too! ;) So Barb. Shall I bring that beer we've been talking about for the last 12 months?

what time does it kick off?

Judging starts at 4pm... I suggest you get your entry to the stweard before then :)

Thanks.... I wont be able to enter this time round as my pale ale turned into a kind of New Zealand Amber part way through brewing..... But Im keen too come along and meet some of you anyway, whats the format for the afternoon/evening?

You should still enter it - the feedback is worth it: and you never know that quality of your competitors beers.

Format? Sit down and talk homebrew amongst fellow homebrewers whilst drinking quality beer for a few hours.

Pretty casual.

Yeah I should have posted it in.... and can't get away from work till about 6 so will have to make some time for next month ;)

Good luck to all the entrants!

Just a quick update here...

I've finalised the format for judging - this is no doubt going to speed things up. And, seeing as how I spent so much time making up the sheet - I thought I'd attach it so that you know how your beer is going to be judged; and for you to use for yourselves for judging your own beers.

As you can see, the score is out of 50 and 60% of the weighting is towards the style guidelines. The other 40% is if your beer is slightly out of style: you can score up to 20 points if it is brewed well.

Have fun - see you's on Saturday.

Attachments:

Only comment would be that lacing is pretty tricky to judge with sample sizes.

Should all the judging be wrapped up by about 5?  Weve got the wife's sister's 40th at 6 in Papatoetoe.  I think I might be able to stretch it to 5.30 at the max but if judging might still be going then we will just come down for a couple of beers.  My beer is pretty average anyway, Kohatu doesn't seem to have the kick I was looking for.

Congrats to Haish on the win - can't remember who took out the bronze and the right to choose the next style?

It was Brent Westein. Awesome day and great to catch up with you all, even in my undead state. Thanks to the judges and Kyle for stewarding. See you all at the next one (or sooner).

Yup, awesome afternoon. Many thanks to Steve for his hospitality (including his great staff), the Four Horsemen for the judging and Kyle for stewarding. Great to meet a few new faces, and look forward to seeing many of you at Galbraith's tomorrow night.

I think that was my best result - close behind Brent's third place beer.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service