Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone interested in yeast slant trade? Sick of paying $20+ for a new strain. 

Pretty keen to get my hands on anything wheat, anything saison or anything lager. 

In trade I have 1272, 1275, 1968, 1007 and 1332. 

On a side note, what is the best way to send slants? :)

Views: 1328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice. I could even provide the blank slants if it makes it easier :)

1728 would be very handy as been thinking about a barley wine or scotch ale

maybe we could set up  slant trade group for anyone who's keen, how do you guys feel about swapping slants in return for empty vials when you have excess? or would you rather keep it on a 1 to 1 basis? i'm easy at the moment.what vials do you guys have? i have the screwcap ones from labwarehouse.

Sounds good happy to trade but as yet dont have many viles - I have found a few from the science lab at school. I also have a smack pack of 3789. At this stage blank slants would work well. Jordan I would love 1272, and 1007 and 1332 if not to much trouble if you want to send some blanks I will send back what I have 3789, 2000, 2278. Otherwise I could set up the viles I have

Martin - what were you viles called the labwarehouse site.

Cheers

This sounds good to me Mark. I'll message you shortly regarding this.

as you have to buy them initially shouldnt it be a trade?

i was sort of thinking if i had yeast x and a few people wanted it then they could have it if they had nothing i wanted at the time .then in a month or 2 they may have something i want but i have nothing new etc etc but i'm not really bothered,whatever suits everyone is good by me

Martin, I think trading slants for empties could be a good way to get things moving, especially if someone doesn't have many or any strains.

The slants I got from proscitech came in a pack of 180 or something stupid. I bought them with the intention of selling 100 or so on  trade me to recover some of the cost, but never got around to it. I'm happy to include a few empties in my trades if required, as long as the receiver has the intention of further sharing in the future :)

I would be happy to buy some tube of you Jordan

ive got some 10ml brown vials are they ok? are you thinking post or courier?

i came across this today on homebrewtalk-

I'm starting to compile a yeast bank, and figured that an easy, cheap way to get some variety is to offer trades. Here's a quick copy of correct yeast culture shipping methodology:

Quote:

... I thought it worth mentioning that there is a cheaper alternative to agar slants for mailing strains, and it works just as well. We routinely send out laboratory strains on filter paper. Basically, you just put a drop of culture on a ~1 cm square piece of filter paper (probably any absorbent paper would do) and wrap the square in a piece of sterile foil. Then pop it into an envelope and send it off. When it gets to the other side, they drop the paper on a rich media plate, incubate for a day or so, and the yeast grow up. Then you streak for singles on another plate and you're set. I haven't rigorously determined the viability of cells dried on paper, but they are very stable. It works.

I can think of two possible disadvantages to this system. First, we use autoclaved paper and foil, and a surprising number of households STILL lack an autoclave. However, while commercial paper is probably not sterile, I imagine it is pretty close; the yeast are going to far outnumber anything else, and when you streak for singles you will get what you want. The foil you could always steam, but probably it would also be close enough to sterile for most people's purposes. The second drawback is that this method requires that you are set up to culture, and to streak for singles in particular. However, while this isn't absolutely necessary in the case of slants, it is certainly advisable. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Dave Rose Dept. of Cellular and Developmental Biology Harvard U.
has anyone tried this method?it may be an alternative method,and you won't end up losing your vials/plates etc
any thoughts?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service