Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

So....after a 12 month hiatus from brewing, what better way to celebrate a return than splashing out some $$$ on shiny kit.

I'm looking to get a conical fermenter. I'm hoping to get some opinions from those of you that own or know something about them and what you do / don't like about your particular beast.

I'm looking at the following options:

Blichmann 14g ($1200) :

Pros: cheapest, good access in use, removable dome for cleaning, pressure to 3psi

Cons: NPT fittings only (from NZ supplier), Only 1/2" dump valve

Morebeer 14g ($1700+est):

Pros: Tri-clover fittings, good access, removable dome, 1.5" butterfly dump valve, accessories, 5psi

Cons: Cost, lead time.

Farra 50L ($1800+est):

Pros: NZ made, customisable. Looks like 1in dump valve, pressure ok

Cons: Cost, no rotating racking arm (?), top is not fully removable for cleaning, BSP fittings only as standard.

I really like the idea of tri-clover fittings - but would they really add that much? 

Views: 1236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ive been thinking of making one by cutting the botom off a keg and getting a cone welded on, for the top i am going to buy an old stainless pressure cooker (for seal), cut the top off and weld it on.

i know some very smart engineers/inventors who can get a cone laser cut for me, plus the obvious legs etc what do you think of that notion?

i think cost maybe $400 tops i already have the keg (one with rubber top and botom)

I really admire the 'DIY' approach and if I was that way inclined, that's the way I would probably head. Personally, I've got the $ available and not much of a DIYer in that respect!

yeah i know what you mean its a lot of f'ing around for a probably worse result, if i go ahead i'll put some photos up

how much does it cost to have the cone laser cut?
dunno yet i'll check it out

My man...

NPT and BSP threads are compatible at that thread size... so that's not an issue.

1/2" dump valve isn't a problem... depending on what yeast to use. 1968, 002 or S-04 with dry hops might be difficult to squeeze out... but under a little pressure, it comes out in the end. Further to this... the rotating arm helps when trying to get the beer out, so it doesn't really matter how firm the crud has packed down below it.

For my money - I'd get the Blichmann.

Wenzhou Shuangding Machinery Co., Ltd
East End, No. 819, Binhai 8th Road, Economic and Technological Development Zone, Wenzhou, China
Tel: 0083-577-88585966  Email: wzshuangding@yahoo.cn
Price List for Fermentation Tank
Item Capacity Material Description Thickness of SS (mm) Picture Price  (USD/Unit)
Fermentation tank 50L SS304 1. Single layer
2. Conical design
2mm   530.00
100L 710.00
200L 950.00
Note:
1. Payment: T/T in advance. 30% before production and balance paid before delivery. The balance can be paid by L/C, in which case the price will be 3% higher.

2. delivery: with 40 days after receipt of down payment.

or

3. Price based on terms of FOB Ningbo, China.
4. Pictures are only the customer's reference, we may do adjustment according to the capacity and application.
5. Price valid from Aug. 8th to Nov. 7th, 2011.
ordered the Blichmann....cheers JoKing

or these,seem cheap.......before shipping!

he won't ship here,you'll have to use a freight forwarder,no idea of cost though

http://brewhemoth.com/

Not much of a taper on that cone. I believe it should be around 60deg. All the other conicals I've seen have a much longer cone than that one.

Most of them are around 60 degrees - which is said to be the minimum angle for a "uni-fermenter".

The big problem with 60 degree conical fermenters (don't worry - I have 3 of them now) is that the design is for uni-fermentation of lagers: Using the fermenter as the a conditioning tank also. And I'll tell you what - they can make your ales taste quite lagery too. That said - the 60 degree cone is mostly a function for harvesting the yeast with ease; and the ability to be selective too. Yeast will form in different layers within a 60+ degree cone. The brewhemoth fermenter will still allow you to harvest yeast... but I think you'd have less selection.

Anyhow... I'm not trying to be pedantic. I think that the brewhemoth would be ideal for most ale types. The main thing that I don't like about it is the small inlet (similar to the Farra ones) means for people like me (with fat forearms) you can't wipe the krausen ring off from the inside making you more reliant of chemical washing. Also - the lack of finishing on it looks awful... some nitric gel wouldn't have gone amiss there.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service