Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've got a Golden Ale that was in the primary for about 3 days, then has been in the secondary for about a month now. It reached 1.017 about 2 1/2 weeks ago and isn't dropping any further. Taste is fine, just seems to have stopped fermenting. Temp normally in 20-24 range, although it has dropped to 14 when I accidentally switched off the heatpad (yeah, I need to get a temperature controller, it's on the list).

Ideally I would just bottle it as is, but is it risky with such a high final gravity? Don't want any beer grenades in the garage. Lowest i have bottled at in the past is 1.015.

What are the other options, I guess pitching more yeast would work no? However I'm not that happy about leaving it on the dead yeast for much longer. I guess racking off again is a possibility, but not one I'm keen on. As I said, I am keen to have done with it and bottle. I use glass mainly btw not PET.

Also what would have caused this, is it my poor temperature management?

I rehydrate my yeast before pitching. Using S-04. Wasn't as vigorous as the last batch of US-05 i did but it was pretty good.

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers

Views: 671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

get a chest freezer that you can fit 3 fermentors in? I can fit 2 fermentors into my fridge if I use 20L cubes. It also has a temperature differential, meaning I can put a brew in the bottom at 18 or 19 degrees with the thermostat on it, and the one sitting slightly higher will be sitting at a warmer temperature...

I fit two in my tall Frigidaire but I usually have to sacrifice airlocks or use a blow-off tube instead. Get a temperature controller like an STC-1000 or Fridgemate (there was a recent thread with links to the cheap ones from Hong Kong).   

Sure you can rotate them, I do. The first few days of fermentation are the most important, so start them off in the fridge, bump up the temperature slowly over a week till they're pretty well finished (luckily English strains are fast fermenters), then bring it into the house at 20-ish for another week to eat up diacetyl and clear.

p.s. Sorry forgot to say, thanks all for the replies :)

Just an update, many thanks to all who replied.

I primed it quite a bit lighter than I normally would incase of any accidents.

It's been a little over 3 weeks since it was bottled now and I'm pleased to say that it was a success! A bit on the flat side but it's getting more carbonated the longer I leave it. Quite cloudy still too. Should make a half decent beer, not great but I thought it might be a bit of a disaster.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service