Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I just found a new brew shop in Wellington - opened a few weeks ago. It's in Newtown, corner of Adelaide and Riddiford Street. I just had a brief look, and it sounds like they'll have a grain mill in there in a week or two. Nice to have a local shop!

Views: 1309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Went in yesterday... they have about 12 malts (base and specialty) but yep not sure if the grain mill is there yet. Good option if you have your own mill... prices seem pretty standard.

Cheese and wine making stuff also... and a good selection of ferments products.
This is such good news.  Wellington has been in desperate need of a good LHBS for ages.  Not wanting to diss the guys at Great Expectations, but their knowledge of brewing beyond basic extract kits is limited at best, and their product range is also lacking.  Hopefully a bit of competition in the local market will spur one of them into offering a better range.

That is good.

While we are on the subject theres a new brewers world brew shop in Waitangirua (Porirua) seems to be tied to brewcraft products/prices and has the normal dried yeasts etc mostly set up around kits and spirits from what I saw.

Thats is great news, next time I am in Newtown and will pop in and say hi to Cory. The more people we can get home brewing the less DB products are purchased, and the more potential craft beers we might get on the market, so its a win win all round.

One of the biggest thing about a LHBS is the community. On the last Thursday of each month, Great Expectations is packed to capacity with home brewers. There is a wealth of information that has been discussed in that environment, and it is a great resource for new brewers to get the confidence they need to put down their first beer or distill an amazing whiskey, and get good honest feedback about it. 

I have talked to a brewer during one of these evenings that has access to lab equipment that can analysis each molecule in a substance, "very handy when he was cloning his favorite UK brew", that type of knowledge and experience is amazing. Without Phil and Bill's commitment to the homebrew community that wouldn't have been possible. Well done Phil, and welcome aboard Cory, in the fight for better beers.

This is good news. I mostly get my supplies online these days because my LHBS in Kapiti doesn't stock the malts and hops I want. They basically sell kits and Brewcraft products. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I still sometimes use a kit as a basis for a brew but I tart it up with malt and hops that I can't buy locally.

I work in the city so I'll probably be poking my nose in there before long. If they're receptive to what their customers want and can source it they should do well.

Hi All, yes we are open and will have the mill on Friday. Thanks for the comments and come in and say hello!
Excellent!

Yes! no more trips to the hutt for brew gear.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service