Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi All, 

As always, a huge thanks to all who entered the last competition. 19 entries, but our fantastic judges did a great job and hopefully gave some useful feedback. The brewer in 3rd place, Matt, chose the next style to be California Common. 7B in the BJCP guidelines: Full link here http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style07.php

Overall Impression: A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing the signature Northern Brewer varietal hop character.

Comments: This style is narrowly defined around the prototypical Anchor Steam example. Superficially similar to an American pale or amber ale, yet differs in that the hop flavor/aroma is woody/minty rather than citrusy, malt flavors are toasty and caramelly, the hopping is always assertive, and a warm-fermented lager yeast is used.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, American hops (usually Northern Brewer, rather than citrusy varieties), small amounts of toasted malt and/or crystal malts. Lager yeast, however some strains (often with the mention of “California” in the name) work better than others at the warmer fermentation temperatures (55 to 60?F) used. Note that some German yeast strains produce inappropriate sulfury character. Water should have relatively low sulfate and low to moderate carbonate levels.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 – 1.054
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.011 – 1.014
SRM: 10 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 5.5%

Commercial Examples: Anchor Steam, Southampton Steem Beer, Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager

Good luck to everyone! I have chosen a date as far from Beervana as possible so I hope everyone can make it out to Hallertau, 3 PM.

Cheers

Views: 2072

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah it sounds pretty good! Let me knwo if you want a lift... Ill be leaving work (Newmarket) around 5 and have to head back south this evening so can drop you off afterwards if you want

Thanks mate - but I'll sort myself out for transport at this stage.

Steam beer being made in Queenstown - from brew nation

It’s not everyday you hear of a completely new startup brewery. Well actually I lie, it pretty much is at the moment. However, most new breweries are still a long way from getting bottled beer into a small place called Auckland, which is of course miles away from anywhere. (I’m looking at you Wellington breweries).

On this occasion I was lucky enough to get a couple of bottles of Steam Brew from Queenstown Brewers courtesy of my father in law who’s been doing some work down that way. Apparently bottles of Steam Brew are showing up around the local scene down there.

John Wallace, the man behind Queenstown Brewers, had been a winemaker for many years but also a homebrewer. His first five minutes of fame came when national news covered the mens-only homebrew contest at the Lake Hayes A&P show. His brew was voted best in show. It was no doubt a victory for old school sexism and also home brewing.

Apparently John has commissioned a local brewery to produce his winning brew. The obligatory back story is that gold miners migrating to the region brought with them a taste for the Californian Steam Beer. Which apparently was so named because it let off a good head of vapour when opened due to its racy carbonation. 

According to Anchor Brewing, the most famous producer of the style, the name came from early brewing process. Back in the day they didn’t have a way to effectively cool the hot wort after boiling so they pumped it up to shallow containers on the roof. Meeting the cold night air it produced a steaming effect raising from the brewery’s roof. For a great little video on the subject check out their site http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/anchor_steam.

This example of the style pours a dark amber with a small head. Its aroma is that classic yeast and malt ale style I’m sure has hovered over glasses of beer since the gold rush.

The beer is made with lager yeast fermented at a higher than usual temperature. It’s unfiltered so has that traditional haze that many modern breweries filter out. Personally I love unfiltered beer. I feel like I can taste invisible bits of grain and the chill haze filtering between my teeth. Many craft breweries are going this way preferring to leave all the flavour in.

As a mouth full goes the Steam Brew has a malty body with a surprisingly bitter grapefruit hop through the middle. The body has a lovely thickness to it without being sweet which balances the bitterness. This is good beer for sure, authentic and real tasting. The lacing clinging to the sides of the glass making this seem all the more traditional and satisfying. 

I’m not sure when this will make its way up the island but if you’re down in Queenstown over the winter this would be a big step up on the beers I drank during my last trip down that way five years ago.

http://www.brewnation.co.nz/post/Queenstown-Brewers-Steam-Brew.aspx

Hey Guys, I'm not a part of the comp, but looks like its gonna be a good one. I do have a question. I'm looking at making this style with the Kolsch yeast listed by peter, seems like a good substitute. I don't have Northern Brewer Hops, but have read that a good sub for simcoe is northern brewer? Would this work as a substitution? i have simcoe to use, and wouldnt mind subbing to use some of my hops in the freezer.

Any thoughts on this?

If your keen to make a classic take on a Californa Common, I'd seek out some Northern Brewer. Simcoe might share some similar properties, but as a single hop beer Simcoe has too much new world, piney, citrus quality and I think you'd end up with something resembling an American Amber rather than a Cal Common. Northern Brewer is  a more earthy, minty, rustic and old school kinda hop that is really unique. Whatever you choose will be a yum beer though.

Thanks Matt.

I'm planningto use Simcoe first up, and probably rebrew again with NBrewer afterthat, re-use the yeast, might as well make the most of it. :)

Then I can compare, and see what is preferred./

Arrgh, I killed mine. I literally killed it... Had the lamp to close to the fermentor which has autolysed the yeast. Valuable lesson there, use a low watt light bulb and a decent distance. I've been lagering it and may filter it, but not sure if I'll make it.

I can't see how you could fix this but has anybody here been able to remove or disguise autolysis flavour in the past? 

Wasn't the original date for this comp the 24th? Oh well, had a pleasant lunch and a few ales on Saturday. See you all on the 31st.

Yeah it was the 24th, but with Beervana on this month it was moved. See ya Saturday.

Awesome. No Alzheimers for me then...yet.

See you Saturday.

Okay, everyone! I hope you are all excited for this Saturday's comp as I have a special benefit for you. Vicky from Spiegelau will be bringing a couple of the new IPA glasses for the group to try. These glasses were purpose designed for IPA to bring out the hop aroma. I tried these last week and they really do make a difference.

Also, one of our judges, Greig, has had to pull out since antibiotics do not mix well with beer. Phil, the other half of Brewaucracy has offered to judge but needs someone to catch a ride from Avondale to Hallertau and back. Can some kind person offer a ride? Send me an email (NZBeerIQ@gmail.com) or DM on twitter @beerIQ and I can put you and Phil in touch.

See you all on Saturday 3PM.

Hey all, is anybody heading out from the city or surrounds that I might be able to catch a ride with? I'm sorted for a ride after. Cheers!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service